Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk unresponsive for SD card after power outage

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

So I'm running Windows 8.1 and was in the midst of possibly retrieving data from a possible corrupted SD Card, via chkdsk. I don't remember the exact percentage it had left, but I do remember that things seemed to going alright, as it made it to Stage 5 and had about 34 minutes to go. I decided to lay down for a nap while it continued, only to wake up about two hours later and discover that the power to my living room was out (and strangely only the living room, which is where the computer is located). After resetting the circuit breaker and getting my power back, I attempted to try to the ckdsk again, only now it's unresponsive when I do so. 

Attached File  chkdsk.png   6.7KB   1 downloads

It's been like that for about 15 minutes after hitting enter, whereas earlier it gave me a message about what type of drive it was ("This type of the file system is NTFS") almost immediately. Now it isn't doing anything. I'm not sure if it's actually trying to do something or it has just stopped. But I am fairly certain that this unexpected outage may have interrupted the Stage 5 before it was finished. I don't know for sure, all I know is that when I finally booted my PC back up, I still was unable to access the contents of the SD Card, and I had to completely log in from scratch (sometimes I'm lucky enough to have the computer simply go into sleep mode if something like this happens, but not this time) and now I fear that more damage has been done this SD Card. The problem is I can't remember what all was on this card, as it's been in my phone for awhile as extra storage for my apps. I just don't want to format it, if there was more on it. But now I can't even get back to where I was, regarding the chkdsk. Any ideas or suggestions? Is it possible to run chkdsk a second time? What type of damage is done by interrupting a Stage 5? Forgive me if this is the wrong section.

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2017 - 08:50 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a program called PhotoRec. Do not use QphotoRec as the algorithm is not as strong for recovering files. Follow the step by step guide. All files recovered default to the unzipped folder. The files will have the correct extensions but names will be generic. You will need to open each file, if possible, and rename them accordingly.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Edit: Select Whole and not Free for space to be scanned.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#3 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Ok, it's doing a Disk Identification right now. 

What do I do about the currently "running" chkdsk? I use quotations because I'm not sure it's even doing anything at this point. Should I close it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Cancel out of chkdsk. Close out the window.

#5 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Done and done. How long does the Disk identification usually take for TestDisk? It didn't ask me to specify any one disk, so I'm guessing it's going through all of them? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

Are you using Testdisk or PhotoRec? I am not sure what you mean by Disk Identification Utility. 

In the first image of the Step by Step guide of PhotoRec you should see your SD listed as possibly sdb if you have one hard drive. sdc if you have two hard drives. 

Can you post a screenshot?

#7 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

As far as I can tell it is Photorec. I did as instructed as far as opening the proper application:

Attached File  photorec_folder.png   399.71KB   0 downloads

and then here..

Attached File  photorec.png   9.01KB   0 downloads

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

That screen should be instantaneous. I am not sure why it's hanging like that. The SD card is using a card reader or adapter, correct? What does the SD card show in Disk Management when attached?

#9 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

I thought it was strange, too. The SD Card shows up in my list of drives, but there is no storage space information. 

Attached File  harddrives.png   266.83KB   0 downloads

As to your other question; if you mean a separate external card reader, then no. My computer has its own SD slot. Like this:

Attached File  Card_Reader.jpg   145.66KB   0 downloads

For what it's worth, the chkdsk from earlier today ran fine without one. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

Your image wasn't Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management with the SD card attached.

Also, open a command prompt and type the following commands with the SD card attached. Post a screen shot. 

diskpart
list disk

Even with no card in the slot you would still see your drive letter of the card reader in Computer.  

#11 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

EDIT: I made a mistake 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 21 November 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#12 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

Hey, John_C21, I'm trying to follow your instructions, but I'm just not able. Initially I did have a screenshot, until I realized the SD card wasn't in the computer. So I inserted it and tried again, and was never able to get the disks to list. And I've been running into similar problems all night...

Since the SD card is clearly having issues, the computer is trying its best to boot it and it just isn't happening. The problem is, when I've got this card inserted into the slot, the boot attempts almost completely gum up all of the other processes. For example, upon rebooting the computer, the entire system slows down and gets stuck loading, unless I remove this particular card, to which everything resumes and loads as normal. Or, when I open Win 8.1's equivalent to "My Computer", it gets stuck trying to load all of the available drives on the screen. If I go to right OR left click on the SD card, it just gets stuck trying to load and never does. Even if I wanted to format this thing, I'm not able to get the process up and running. This may be a silly question, but would Safe Mode possibly make some of this easier?

EDIT: For what it's worth, I was not having this slow down issue earlier this afternoon when I first initiated the chkdsk. I have a bad feeling that that random outage furthered screwed things up...

Edited by TheRealJustan, 22 November 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

I wouldn't recommend trying to boot the computer with the SD card attached.

Try the following but I think the SD card is damaged beyond repair. Download Mint Cinnamon and burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you do not have a DVD you can use the iso file with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Make sure the flash drive is listed in the first dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. In the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file. Click Start. Backup any data on the flash drive.

Boot Mint but do not input anything until you are at the Mint desktop. It will take a bit. Mint will work from the DVD/USB and RAM. The hard drive is not touched unless you decide to write files to it. At the Mint desktop attach the SD card. Hopefully Mint has the drivers in the kernel for the SD card reader. If not nothing will happen. If Mint can mount the SD card then a icon will pop up on the desktop and a file manager will open showing the files. You can see all your devices  by clicking Computer on the Desktop. They will be in the left pane. The main thing is to see if your SD card is listed in the left pane. It could be labeled sdb or sdc.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

#14 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Okie dokie, I'm getting ready to burn that ISO, as we speak. 

#15 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

How do I boot from the DVD? I'm guessing this requires me to switch around some stuff in the BIOS? I assume that's pretty safe to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users