Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

i made a custom computer a few weeks ago and i started to see it was going very slow. i have 1 gb of ram which i upgraded it to 2 gb, 7300le graphics which i upgraded it to 7900 gt ko, tower with 4 fans including the power supply, msi motherboard 745x platinum and the intel dual core processor. also i have a 250 gb hard drive and the lg H10N cd/dvd burner. i seem to be experincing significant slow downs in which the mouse moves slow and the computer becomes irresponsive. i checked for viruses with spyware doctor and lavasoft ad-aware pro and with bitdefender 9 professional plus. i cleaned my registry with amust registry cleaner and just defragmented my computer. i usually get these slowdowns when i play itunes and open up a game like himtan blood money or when im copying from a cd and listening to music or just browsing around the web. what should i do about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

Do you have two sticks of 1024MB Ram or 4 sticks of 512?

If two sticks, in what slots did you place the Ram?

Do you have hyperthreading - dual channel enabled in the bios?
Each DIMM can work respectively if set up for for single-channel while dual channel must be populated
with identical memory sticks installed in different color slots.

What anti-virus program are you running and is it scanning when you notice the slowdowns?

Use Startup Inspector to manage what programs you have running in the background (in the Windows Startup Menu).
Disable aps like Adobe, Office, Quicktime, Flashplayer, Realplayer, anything you do not need to continuously run when you are not using them. The only things that should be left checked (running in the startup menu) are your anti-virus, firewall, anti-malware that gives realtime protection (like Teatimer, Windows Defender or Windows One Care if you have it) and essential Windows aps. Everything else will open as you need it and not run in the background eating your resources when not being used.
http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Run Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (Microsoft) using Internet Explorer. (on-line scan)
Do a complete scan (it does much more than scan for malware)
The scan may take a couple of hours to complete.
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2006 - 02:34 PM.

#3 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

two sticks of 1024. its new ram, i just got them today. they're in slot 1 and in slot 2 - same color. i dont run extra processes like quicktime or adobe. i don't really notice that much of a slow down when i do a virus scan from bitdefender but the computer really slows down when i do more than two things. i checked for spyware though i'll do it again.

Edited by masterlegolas3, 24 September 2006 - 06:23 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Well, I believe you are running one of your dual cores with no ram!

Put one in each color ram slot - 1 and 3 or whatever.

You also need to adjust your page file to be commensurate with the increased ram.

It should be 1 and 1/2 times the amount of ram so 2 gigs of ram needs a 3 gig page file.

To change the size of the virtual memory (paging file)
Open Computer Management (Local).

In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then select Properties.

On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.

In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial Size (MB) and Maximum Size (MB) box, and then click Set.

If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases generally do not require a restart.

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

You must be recognized as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer and on the computer you are managing to perform this task.

For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.

Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero.

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Have you installed the motherboard/chipset drivers (on a cd that came with the mobo). How about the video and audio device drivers?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:57 AM

I tired that, didn't work... is there anything else i can do? yeah i installed the motherboard's drivers, ill reinstall them and see

Edited by masterlegolas3, 25 September 2006 - 06:58 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

Check the Advanced Settings tab of each IDE channel in Device Manager to see if your disks are operating in DMA mode (presuming that this is an IDE hard drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Better question, you have all these really powerful components, what kind of power supply do you have?

#9 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

a 450 watt power supply and the motherboard drivers didn't help...........

Edited by masterlegolas3, 25 September 2006 - 07:38 PM.

#10 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

wait theres something that has a yellow question mark - the sm bus driver - what's that?

Edited by masterlegolas3, 25 September 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#11 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

Check the Advanced Settings tab of each IDE channel in Device Manager to see if your disks are operating in DMA mode (presuming that this is an IDE hard drive).

where do i go to check the advanced settings?

#12 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

hi masterlegolas3

the sm bus driver should be on the disk you got with your motherboad.

can i ask, when you say you built a custom system, did you reinstall windows on it, or did you attach the harddrive into system with windows already on it?

also, did you uninstall the drivers for you old graphics card before installing the new card and drivers?

you may have problems with old hardware and graphics drivers kicking about in the system if so,

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

SMBus is the System Management Bus defined by Intel
The yellow icon means there is a problem with it - probably the driver.

The driver for it should be on the cd that came with your motherboard.

I tried to look to see if there was an update on the MSI support site but there is no listing for a 745x board.

Please look at the documentation for your mb and post the correct model number or look at MSI support for updated drivers.

If the driver won't work using the motherboard cd as the source you might also try to update the driver for the bus by using Windows Updates when it gives you the selection choice in the driver update screen.

#14 masterlegolas3

masterlegolas3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

about the graphics - there was only one version available for my previous graphics card - 91.45 and that was also the drivers for this graphics card - 7900GT so when i entered the disk, it said i was installing drivers older than the one on the computer so i canceled that. i was looking for the sm bus driver before you guys replied and found this http://www.driverforum.com/controller4/2868.html
so i installed the drivers following the link and the yellow question mark is gone.

#15 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

hi, masterlegolas3,

glad u got that sorted. what about the windows question, new install, or already on the harddrive from another setup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users