Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After Upgrade Effort

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EditorTB

EditorTB

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663257/windows-could-not-complete-the-installation-after-updating Hamluis.

I have basically the same problem as Rydoge except mine happened after trying to upgrade an old machine.  I resurrected the machine & got it working with its WIN 7 OS then used the option found at https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12340318/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available to try to move to WIN 10. After an overnight download/install, I was presented with the 'Welcome to Windows 10' screen.  I clicked 'Next' but was presented with the same error message that Rydoge received. When I closed that message, the computer went into a reboot/back to 'Welcome' screen/error message loop.

Should I go the Media Creation Tool route & boot from a USB?

Is there a way for me to boot back to WIN 7? ... assuming it still exists

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2017 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Unless you have a COA for Windows 10 this will not work.  The only free upgrade that I'm aware of which is still available is for those use Assistive Technologies. Microsoft has not required proof that a person is using assistive technologies, so at this point anyone can download this.  This offer will end on 12/31/2017, so if you are interested in doing this you will need to do this very soon.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

As it turns out, I was using the ISO I downloaded a few months ago to upgrade my other 4 machines and not the Assistive Technologies version.  I have many machines & get confused;)

In any event, after a dozen or so reboots and a night to sleep on it, this morning Windows offered me the option of repairing the install.  This involved doing a complete reset (loss of all my programs) but afterwards, I have my computer back.  I did lose my WI-FI adapter for a while but managed to get it back.  I'm guessing this was a Microsoft chastise for not upgrading within the time specified

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Sounds like you managed to resolve your problem. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Rather, Windows solved it but after a good night's sleep & erasing my HD :smash:

Gotta admit -- it DOES run pretty fast without all the bloatware that snuck in:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users