Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps freezing even after fixing RAM issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RogueGamer

RogueGamer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Little introduction, I'm 18 and I'm still quite new to computers, I bought my PC about 6 months ago and now it's starting to have problems and I am completely helpless at this point. 

About a few weeks ago the first minor problem (which may help figure out what is going on) started happening which is that when I start up my PC the fans start spinning and the lights to my graphics card, CPU cooler etc. turn on, but then they turn off again for about a second before my PC starts to boot. I log in, and then it works completely fine for about 10 minutes and then it freezes, my screen is still on and sometimes the sound from the video/game continues to play, however, my mouse doesn't react, neither does my keyboard, I can't click ctrl-alt-del or anything. I force shut down my PC and reboot and the exact same thing happens, I use my PC for about 10-15 minutes and then it freezes again, no matter if I am playing games or if I am simply going through facebook.

I ran the windows memory diagnostic test and it said that there was a problem with my RAM, so I took out one of the sticks and ran the test again, this time it said that there was no problem with the RAM, so I took out that stick and replaced it with my other RAM card (I put it into the same slot) and ran the test again, and this time it told me that there was a problem with my RAM. So I decided to run my PC on only 8GB of RAM since I figured it would be enough to play video games and watch youtube. However, even after taking out my faulty RAM it still crashes and freezes (even if the only thing I am doing is watching youtube). I have no idea why this is happening or how I can fix it. Please help! 

Specs:

Intel i7-6700K @4.00GHz
2 x 8.00GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4
MSI GeForce GTX 1070
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 Motherboard
Sandisk 480GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
NZXT Kraken X52 CPU Cooler
Corsair RMx 550W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

RogueGamer,

Hi there. By your descriptions and hardware list you provided I believe your PSU is possibly the issue and is either failing or not delivering enough power. I calculated that you're currently using 665watts total at around 48-50 amps on the 12volt rail. I calculated about 4 case fans, cpu fan, not including lights & USB external devices. Your current supply is only 550 watts and 45 amps on 12volt rail. I recommend you get a 850 watt power supply. Here is a good popular bronze rating 850 watt 70 amp 12+ rail. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FYDUCA0/?tag=xov-20

#3 RogueGamer

RogueGamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

Okay, I guess I'll buy a new power supply. But I'm slightly confused, why would it work fine for a few months and only start being a problem now?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Okay, I guess I'll buy a new power supply. But I'm slightly confused, why would it work fine for a few months and only start being a problem now?

electricity and current are a funny thing.  the more current you draw the more heat you produce.

even though your power supply is rated at 550watts, if you system requires more it gonna draw more then what you power supply is rated at causing it to overheat.

heat is your killer!  it may not be fast, but it will do damage to components in the power supply over time.  and that's why you probably have not had issues until now.

#5 RogueGamer

RogueGamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

RogueGamer,

Hi there. By your descriptions and hardware list you provided I believe your PSU is possibly the issue and is either failing or not delivering enough power. I calculated that you're currently using 665watts total at around 48-50 amps on the 12volt rail. I calculated about 4 case fans, cpu fan, not including lights & USB external devices. Your current supply is only 550 watts and 45 amps on 12volt rail. I recommend you get a 850 watt power supply. Here is a good popular bronze rating 850 watt 70 amp 12+ rail. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FYDUCA0/?tag=xov-20

I bought a new PSU which has 650W (the highest one they had in the store) and my PC continues to crash. Should I order an even more powerful PSU or is the problem something else?

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

What brand model is the replacement? Depending on models brands and how inexpensive they are, some may not actually provide the wattage they claim they do. This is why I suggest one that has been through rigorous review to deliver the power it says it does @ 70amps on the 12v+. It is important to read reviews and bench test reviews on the models of hardware. There is a awful lot of junk out there. Once you know that you got a good PSU then you can go from there. If you still have problems then it might be time to start looking at the motherboard. Checking if caps are popped, swelling, leaking near cpu and memory, etc. Removing the cpu and checking the PGA socket for bent pins, thermal compound shorting out electronics, water systems leakage. There really is a whole slew of things that can cause this sort of unstable system. Shorts in wiring harness, loose connection on the molex plugs, led case lights drawing to much power, overheating, cards not seated right, memory not seated right, Extreme overclocking of the cpu/gpu, memory timings incorrect in bios, low voltage bios battery (cr2032) coin battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users