Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop forced update to latest version of windows on windows 10 home ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 geekasaurus

geekasaurus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:43 AM

For whatever reason, the latest Windows 10 update makes my computer unusable. It downloads and installs the gigabytes of updates and then rolls back on the last reboot and then the laptop fails to go to Windows after that. I have to restore the drive to the point before the update. (emmc and ssd installed and I am cloning from the emmc) The latest insidious updater goes around the metered connection workaround and installs an update assistant over and over. I finally think I killed it all by using a program called "Process Hacker" and turning off the Windows Update service (since it will not stay off through turning it off in Windows). I used Glary Utilities to delete the 4.8GB of files that were on the drive. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

For whatever reason, the latest Windows 10 update makes my computer unusable. It downloads and installs the gigabytes of updates and then rolls back on the last reboot and then the laptop fails to go to Windows after that. I have to restore the drive to the point before the update. (emmc and ssd installed and I am cloning from the emmc) The latest insidious updater goes around the metered connection workaround and installs an update assistant over and over. I finally think I killed it all by using a program called "Process Hacker" and turning off the Windows Update service (since it will not stay off through turning it off in Windows). I used Glary Utilities to delete the 4.8GB of files that were on the drive. 

Since the computer I needed to stop the update on needed to be on an Ethernet connection, someone on another forum offered a solution that worked, it was a way to set up the Ethernet connection as "metered" and the windows updater will occasionally have a pop up window that says there is an update to download but it does not download it automatically anymore, I would have to click on a download button or click on "remind me later".  So now I don't have to keep doing a recovery to an earlier version of windows 10 to get my internet connection back.  (later I'll try to find a solution to that)

Here is the "how to" link they shared to do that:

https://www.windows10forums.com/art...ered-connection-for-windows-10-home-users.48/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users