Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop forced update to latest version of windows on windows 10 home ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GKL1520

GKL1520

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Does anyone have a solution that actually works to stop Microsoft from forcing the update to the latest version of windows ?  (I have tried several things already)

The version of windows I have on that computer is the Windows 10 Home version.

The "windows update" keeps forcing the download and install of the latest version of windows, so far everything I tried to stop it doesn't seem to work, every time I use the "recovery" to go back to my previous version of windows within about a day it forces the update again, and again and again.  

I wouldn't mind the latest version except that it wipes out my network adapter and nothing I tried fixed it EXCEPT going back to the previous version of windows.

Under "recovery" it even states if the latest version gives you problems go back to the previous version, but WHY do they have that option if they won't let you keep the previous version but insist on forcing the latest version over and over after every time you go back to the previous version.

This is getting very frustrating, it seems every day I do a recovery to my previous version of windows and every day Microsoft forces the update to the latest version which wipes out my network adapter (both wireless and Ethernet) and hence my ability to connect to the internet until I do a recovery back to the previous version.

I would very much prefer to stay with windows, but if I have to keep doing a recovery every day, day after day, to my previous version of windows, then I might seriously consider switching to the Linux OS.

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

have you tried enabling "metered connection".

#3 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the reply and idea, I read about that elsewhere but it said the "metered connection" only worked for a WIFI connection and that computer needs to be on an Ethernet connection to the router as it's being used as a Softether VPN server.  Thanks anyhow !

I did more research and found this web page that says you can stop windows from updating drivers using "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"

so hopefully IF windows forces an update to the latest version of windows 10 yet again it won't wipe out my network adapter.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

I hope something works as I am getting very tired of using the recovery option EVERY day to keep restoring my previous version of windows so I can have my internet connection back again.

#4 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply and idea, I read about that elsewhere but it said the "metered connection" only worked for a WIFI connection and that computer needs to be on an Ethernet connection to the router as it's being used as a Softether VPN server.  Thanks anyhow !

I did more research and found this web page that says you can stop windows from updating drivers using "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"

so hopefully IF windows forces an update to the latest version of windows 10 yet again it won't wipe out my network adapter.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

I hope something works as I am getting very tired of using the recovery option EVERY day to keep restoring my previous version of windows so I can have my internet connection back again.

Well, I just checked that computer and its in the process of updating to the latest version of windows AGAIN !!!!!

I guess tomorrow I'll see if it wiped out my network adapter yet again.

WHY WHY WHY does Microsoft even have the "recovery" option to go back to your previous version of windows if the latest version is causing problems, when it does NOT let you stay on the previous version but updates you to the latest version again within a day ????????

I have tried about 4 or 5 different possible solutions to stop the updates but NOTHING seems to work.

Are there some hidden secret files, surely there must be some way to stop this.

Can somebody just tell me if it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop Microsoft from keeping on updating my earlier version of windows 10 to the latest version ?

At least that way I will know if I just have to give up on windows and switch to a Linux OS.

As much as I would prefer to stay with windows, I have to do a recovery to an earlier version of windows 10 EVERY DAY in order to get my network adapter (and internet access) back again.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

I hate to say it, but you need to do more research on several things:

1. Disabling device driver updates under Windows 10

2. Looking at your computer manufacturer's support site to see if they have an updated driver for your WiFi card

3. Obtaining an inexpensive, but probably less problematic, USB network adapter

The fact of the matter is that if you wish to stay with Windows that you will be getting feature updates to Windows.   We are in the era of Windows as a service and earlier versions of Windows 10 go out of support.  Versions 1511 and earlier are already no longer supported and Version 1607 is not far behind.

There are certain devices that seem to be consistently problematic with Windows 10, particularly if the machine itself predates the Windows 10 era.  I gave up on making one of my older laptops a Windows 10 machine after an extensive search turned up absolutely no driver for the mousepad that would work.  It's now a Linux Mint machine that I use very infrequently.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated, already tried options 1 and 2 without success.

On another forum someone shared a link on what "might" bring back my network adapter, I'll check it out tomorrow, I tried to post the link here but it won't let me.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,495 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

Do let us know whether the "next fix" has worked.

I can't imagine why cut and paste of a link would not have worked.  I'm also surprised that setting Windows not to update the device drivers didn't work.  It's been a long while since the last time I had to use it, but for Windows 10 Home users this was the method that has definitely worked in the past:              

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#8 LoserGamer

LoserGamer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

I use a program called SHUTUP10. https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/update

Its from a reputable company who makes back up software.

At any rate you can shut off all updates if you want and stay where you are.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,495 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

The O&O Software is indeed reputable, and they're even thorough enough to tell you to create a system restore point before making changes within the program.

Since one can turn off driver updates from within this program that's what I'd limit myself to if the only problem you were having was with a driver update.

Windows 10 feature updates update a lot more than just "features."   The number of security updates with each major feature update are extensive.  The improvements in Windows Defender for Version 1709 were extensive and well worth having.

Blocking OS updates in Windows 10, particularly the major OS updates, is a fool's errand.  No one has ever said it better than one of our own BSOD experts here on BC:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

Edited by britechguy, 22 November 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#10 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

I use a program called SHUTUP10. https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/update

Its from a reputable company who makes back up software.

At any rate you can shut off all updates if you want and stay where you are.

Thanks !    Can it stop the upgrade to the newest version of windows from an earlier version ?

The O&O Software is indeed reputable, and they're even thorough enough to tell you to create a system restore point before making changes within the program.

Since one can turn off driver updates from within this program that's what I'd limit myself to if the only problem you were having was with a driver update.

Windows 10 feature updates update a lot more than just "features."   The number of security updates with each major feature update are extensive.  The improvements in Windows Defender for Version 1709 were extensive and well worth having.

Blocking OS updates in Windows 10, particularly the major OS updates, is a fool's errand.  No one has ever said it better than one of our own BSOD experts here on BC:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

I would like to have all those updates, but what good are they if my internet access is disabled every time it upgrades to the latest version of windows ?

The upgrade does not delete my Ethernet and wifi adapters, but it somehow makes them unusable, when I check each of them in the device manager it has the same error message for both - "This device cannot find enough resources it can use. (code 12)"  and nothing I tried has been able to make them usable again EXCEPT using recovery to restore the previous version of windows.

Edited by GKL1520, 22 November 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,495 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

GKL1520,

I can't answer your question, "What good . . .?"

I have been in this circumstance, and usually when using older hardware with newer software (OS or otherwise), and when confronted with this, if it's cheap and easy, I work around it.

For myself, and that doesn't mean that it should be for you, I'd far rather spend the under $15 to get a Wireless AC compatible USB adapter and see if it works.  I value the increased security that keeps on coming with each updated version of Windows 10 enough that if I have to do a hardware workaround for something like a WiFi card, I would.

#12 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

GKL1520,

I can't answer your question, "What good . . .?"

I have been in this circumstance, and usually when using older hardware with newer software (OS or otherwise), and when confronted with this, if it's cheap and easy, I work around it.

For myself, and that doesn't mean that it should be for you, I'd far rather spend the under $15 to get a Wireless AC compatible USB adapter and see if it works.  I value the increased security that keeps on coming with each updated version of Windows 10 enough that if I have to do a hardware workaround for something like a WiFi card, I would.

Thanks, I really do appreciate the ideas, but is there an inexpensive USB adapter that would let me connect by Ethernet cable ? (do they even make anything like that ?)

That computer must have a hardwired Ethernet connection to the router for the Softether VPN server software to work.

#13 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

your probably going to have to upgrade win10 to pro or higher.   win10 home won't let you stop updates from what I've been reading online.

with pro, enterprise you have access to group policy editor and can disable update or choose to let it notify you and you have to initiate the download.  but these options are not available with home.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,495 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Thanks, I really do appreciate the ideas, but is there an inexpensive USB adapter that would let me connect by Ethernet cable ? (do they even make anything like that ?)

Yes, they do, and there are many at $15 or lower.  I think the most expensive I found was around $25.

Web/eBay/Amazon searches on "usb ethernet adapter" find scads of these.

I was not able to find one that combined WiFi and ethernet in the same adapter, but that makes sense as one is generally using one or the other in a given setting.

#15 GKL1520

GKL1520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Yes, they do, and there are many at $15 or lower.  I think the most expensive I found was around $25.

Web/eBay/Amazon searches on "usb ethernet adapter" find scads of these.

I was not able to find one that combined WiFi and ethernet in the same adapter, but that makes sense as one is generally using one or the other in a given setting

Thanks for the info, I'll consider getting one, hopefully that problem won't mess with a USB adapter too. 

your probably going to have to upgrade win10 to pro or higher.   win10 home won't let you stop updates from what I've been reading online.

with pro, enterprise you have access to group policy editor and can disable update or choose to let it notify you and you have to initiate the download.  but these options are not available with home.

Thanks !

Well, since it's an old laptop only to be used as a VPN server I prefer not to pay for something costly I really should not have to need.   I think for now I'll keep trying to figure out if there is any way to fix my network adapters and/or maybe buy a USB adapter.

Edited by GKL1520, 22 November 2017 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users