Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Battery Old Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kimberlylarae2

kimberlylarae2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

My HP laptop was plugged in but the laptop didn't know it was plugged in--it was using the battery instead until the battery drained. It shut down and wouldn't start back up. I replaced the battery, it's the same as the original. I put the new battery in and it started back up but otherwise it doesn't know there's a new battery in it. It says the battery in very low and was about to shut down again so I shut it down. I thought that if I got a new battery I could get back on and bring up the system properties, find out just what model it is, and order the proper power jack to replace and the laptop would be fixed.  The battery was so low (it said) that I didn't have time to even bring up the system properties and get the information. Now I have to wonder if the power jack is the problem. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Have you checked to see if the charger itself is working, ie outputting any voltage ?  Use a digital multi-meter and hold the common or 0V probe to the outer rim of the connector at  the end of its lead and probe inside with the +V probe. You should find a voltage within +/- 1V of 19.5V.

You use the expression 'power jack'. If by this you mean the internal connection on the mobo these are generally not easy to replace, difficult to source and usually require a complete dismantling of the laptop. However the model number of the laptop would be your starting point. This should be somewhere on the underside of your laptop, it may be on a sticker inside the battery compartment. This will also give you the information you need to get a replacement if you determine that the charger has failed.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Many laptops and especially the newer ones use a power port that plugs into the motherboard, if your laptop power port is not soldered on the motherboard then this should be fixed for a reasonable price or you may want to do this yourself. You can get the power port on Amazon or Ebay, and there's always a you tube on how to do it yourself

power_port.jpg

Post your entire model and serial number so someone can check the specs of the power port

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users