Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find the startup menu programs in Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

I have not been able to find the start up programs for my computer. When I type in misconfig + press enter in the search field, I get an error message that the file cannot be located.

I want to uncheck a program that starts when I open up my browser(Google).

Sure would appreciate any help for this novice. :bowdown: 

Thanks

honu1

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

When I type in misconfig + press enter in the search field, I get an error message that the file cannot be located.

You might get an error typing misconfig as its msconfig. Not sure if your just typing it wrong here or in both.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the correction,but it still doesn't get me to all the things/programs that are running at startup.  How do I find those,please?

honi1

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#4 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

The startup tab should have items under msconfig.exe if its blank you can try the steps listed below.

Make sure you have a Startup folder under Programs in both your personal start menu:

C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You will find an empty startup folder under both location, right-click on it and select delete. Restart the computer and go to each location and create a new folder "Startup", again restart the computer. Now if you see in MSconfig the startup tab should have startup items displayed.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/startup-tab-in-task-manager-is-blank/af6c6a88-edb1-4aae-b077-72523c948c84?page=1

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

What is the name of the program you think is running on startup that you don't see in msconfig?

What is the name of the program that starts when you open up your browser (Google)?

Why do you think/what are you seeing that makes you believe this program starts when you run your browser (Google)?

If you could uncheck a startup program what is the name of the program you would want to uncheck?

What you see in the Startup tab in msconfig comes from the registry and your Startup folder (which may be empty).

My Startup tab is empty but that doesn't mean there is a problem - it is that way because I have no startup items (by choice).

[attachment=199824:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 21 November 2017 - 05:39 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Perhaps OP is thinking of AutoRuns.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

AutorunsPortable.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users