Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bad ccleaner download?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bassinbob54

bassinbob54

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

I have windows 10 latest version on my laptop and it said ccleaner needed an update but when i tried my eset  av blocked it as a dangerous file. I tried directly from thier website as well as BC downloads and it still blocks me with this info..Win32/Bundled toolbar.Goggle.D. Does anyone know if this is a false positive or has Ccleaner got an issue?   Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,820 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

False positive as far as I can tell, having installed the latest CCleaner sometime over the last week.

They are, of course, participating in the loathsome practice of bundling, but have been for a while and you can elect to install or not install the additional bundled software.  Although I'm careful about reading each and every screen and checkbox when installing anything available for free, I have found Unchecky invaluable as a double-checking and bundled-install-preventing tool.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

I used this download with ESET and it went well.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner?source=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqWM4YnQ1wIVwlYNCh1xJwNNEAAYASAAEgKd9PD_BwE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

The normal installer for CCleaner includes a Toolbar or offers you to install something that you can op-out.

To avoid all that you can use CCleaner Slim https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5156-ccleaner-slim.html

Usually the Slim version will appear on the CCleaner page here some days after releasing a new version.

Presently there is no slim installer available for v5.37

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

If you run a scan using Eset it will delete/ quarantine the toolbar.Goggle.D installer bundled with CCleaner. You simply missed unchecking that during

the install of CCleaner.

Edited by buddy215, 21 November 2017 - 12:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 bassinbob54

bassinbob54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for all your help with this, I downloaded ccleaner from boopmes link and ignored Esets warning and now im scanning to delete the bundled goggle toolbar. I never saw any check boxes to refuse the bundle though. Thanks again BC you guys are great!

#7 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

The normal installer for CCleaner includes a Toolbar or offers you to install something that you can op-out.

To avoid all that you can use CCleaner Slim https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5156-ccleaner-slim.html

Usually the Slim version will appear on the CCleaner page here some days after releasing a new version.

Presently there is no slim installer available for v5.37

also if you go to the main website for ccleaner, and click into the downloads page, you can scroll down to find a link to the builds area, where you can get the portable version.  portable never had that toolbar for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users