Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Comparison

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 srossi

srossi

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

My old PC is about 5 years old and is giving me fits so I'm buying a new one.  I currently have an HP Pavilion that cost me about $600, and that still seems to be the going rate for many PCs.  I found an HP Slimline that I can get for $260, but why is it so cheap?  I am not a gamer, I use my PC to surf the Internet, use Word and Excel, and store a lot of pics, vids, and music.  That's really it.  I don't want to run into a memory issue and of course I don't want this PC to be significantly slower.

Is this a poor computer compared to the Pavilion series?  Specifically, I currently have a model p7-1170t.

Conquer your day with this newly redesigned HP tower that is reliable, slimmer, and also affordable.

Intel Pentium Quad-Core Processor J3710(Up to 1.60GHz) 
4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM memory (1x4 GB) (expandable to 16 GB) 
1 TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive 
Windows 10 Home Operating System 
Intel® HD Graphics 
Connectivity: 6x USB Ports (4 x 2.0 , 2 x 3.0), 1x HDMI, 1x VGA 
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 M.2 combo 
USB wired keyboard with volume control and optical mouse 
Ultra Slim-tray SuperMulti DVD Burner 
1-Year limited Hardware Warranty 
90 days Limited Technical support for Software and Initial Setup (from date of purchase) 

Processor Speed 1 to 1.9 GHz
RAM Capacity 4GB

Edited by srossi, 21 November 2017 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Eh what you have is quite good, the trade off for buying a new PC would not benefit you here.

You could just do some tweaks and upgrades to your current machine and have it run like new, sure its 5 years old but there are ways to make it last longer.

I would start by adding in more RAM, adding ram is very easy, no tech knowledge needed.

If you have 4GB of ram you can up to 8GB

For hard drive solutions pop a SSD in that bad boy and it will be like adding in warp drive.

Also clean the machine of dust and dirt, defrag and maybe even reinstall windows

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 11:07 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

MadmanRB,

Just as a quick note, Windows 10 has automatic defragmentation turned on out of the box.  So did Windows 8/8.1, if I am not mistaken.

I haven't needed to manually defragment a drive in years.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Indeed but they had no mention of what OS they were using here so best to cover the bases.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Madman,

The following is not an attempt to be nasty, but do look at the original post directly beneath the line, "1 TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive."  I just thought you'd missed it and I thought the fact that auto-defragging is the default with later versions of Windows would be a useful piece of information.  No use doing work that's already been done.

I presumed the specs posted were for the OP's current machine, and it appears that you did, too, based on your comment about upgrading memory.

Edited by britechguy, 21 November 2017 - 01:00 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, the specs listed are for the new machine.

FYI, the issue with my current machine is recurring corruptions of my profile.  About once a year for the past several years it was sending me to a temporary profile and I would have to go through the process of transferring all my data over to a new desktop.  However the issue has become worse and it has happened 3 times in the past 2 months now.  Customer support cannot seem to figure out why this keeps happening. 

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hrm sounds like its a possible failing hard drive

you could post screenshots of crystal disk info for us

https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

You could use windows snipper tool for your screenshots and post them via the forum or imagur.

To further get information you could also install speccy:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

https://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

We can tell you whats the best route to go.

Most likely its just a failing hard drive and getting another one will help your issues.

Ignore HP tech support, you are probably well out of warranty and they mainly would want you to buy a new PC anyhow.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 01:40 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, I will do this tonight when I get home.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Take your time, the way i see it is that your system can be saved it just needs a little help.

its 5 years old but with the right hardware its going to be just fine if you just tweak it.

I currently see no reason to get a brand new machine as it seems like its just a hard drive issue or something is off in the OS like a virus or an update that didnt take.

If this was say a 10 year old machine maybe but lets see what you got first.

But cannot say anything else right now, we will wait for you to post.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 02:15 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Here are the CrystalDisk screenshots:  https://imgur.com/a/mPIZ2

And Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qYoe5EBsw0MZCg7iH0lEe3E

Thanks.

Edited by srossi, 21 November 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

That's good news can you give us your speccy upload? This may just be a case of doing a clean reinstall of windows or something like that did you take the upgrade path from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10?

Edit: ah so you didnt do the update to windows 10, well thats fine you dont need it but when was the last time you defragged?

Did you perform a disk error check?

Based on your specs you actually have some decent hardware there, its not the best but still decent enough I would maybe just add in a SSD and that would be a big boon to it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 10:32 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Yes I installed Never10 because I really didn't want Windows 10 at the time.  I performed a disk error check about a month ago when this problem happened for the 2nd time and everything seemed fine.  I'm defragging right now just to see if any problems come up.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

Cool, concerning the hardware here I say there would not be too big of a advantage to getting a new PC especially the one you linked in your original post.
Here you already have a decent enough machine, 6GB of ram is good to have here though maybe i would up the memory to 8GB.
And again the suggestion of a SSD is also good here, actually i would get that first as hey what if you do need another hard drive or whatever.
I could link you to some decently priced SSD's as your machine could take it just with a slight mod that you can do.
You will need a adapter bracket but those come dirt cheap and just need a few screws.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mounting-Bracket-drive-CSSD-BRKT1/dp/B0090UG55A
Then get another sata cable to hook into your motherboard again very cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/18inch-6Gbps-Cable-Locking-Latch/dp/B001O4EPHA

Then the SSD itself:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-SDSSDA-240G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511323503&sr=1-4&keywords=ssd

Would be a far cheaper route than getting another machine, I say this would be a great route to go as your specs are decent enough so why toss it out?

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 11:17 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

Thanks, Ill look into this. You think the new hard disk will solve the temporary profile issue if the defrag doesnt?

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

Yeah I see no reason why not I mean it could still be a failing hard drive and it's just not showing any typical signs I mean hard drives in general are quite cheap and you could get a new one for about $50 or so depending on what route you want to go I mean you'll still be underneath $200. I mean it's still a good investment to get a solid state drive as even if your other Hardware fails you could transfer the solid state drive over into another machine so it's a win-win scenario

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 11:31 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users