Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home network issue when connected via ethernet but not via wifi ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

hi all,

first time user of this site so apologies if some info missing. also, just a normal user so some technical terms might be wrong ... apologies if they are !

i am using pc's with windows 10 and the issue i have concerns my home network. 

i have this set up by simply allowing access to folders to other computers connected to the network (not via homegroup which never worked when i tried to set it up some years ago).

i use one of the computers to stock all my shared files (music, films, work files, etc.) and would like to have this computer connected to the internet via ethernet. this would help when transferring large files from external sites.

unfortunately, when i use the ethernet connection to the router on this computer, the other computers are unable to connect (one is connected to the router via wifi and the other via ethernet). however, if i switch the main computer to wifi connectivity, no problem and the computer is visible and file sharing available to the two other computers.

is this something that anyone has come accross and can help me with ?

any help very much appreciated !

cheers,

jon

p.s. would a screengrab of the ipconfig settings when connected via ethernet and wifi be of any use ? i can post if ever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Some routers are particular about which Ethernet port you plug into.  Originally some needed to have port 1 first and only port one could access the routers admin. 

#3 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

hi mjd420nova,

port 1 is currently being used by the tv. i'll change the ethernet cable for the computer to port 1 and let you know if that helps !

cheers,

jon

#4 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

hey again mjd420nova,

no dice i'm afraid. chaged the cables and nothing. rebooted the computers to be sure and still nothing.

changed back to wifi and all good ... kinda frustrating :)

jon

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

Can you access the router admin. A clue may be there.  That's the only difference between the two is the router.

#6 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

hi,

yes i can. what do i need to look for ?

jon

#7 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

if i click on the icon for each computer it shows me the MAC address, IP address, IPv6 address and the network name

#8 jonnym_ch

jonnym_ch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

on the left hand side are the options:

network with subsets settings and devices

wlan

telephone