Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions about MS Office

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EPerd

EPerd

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

1.If I get MS Office Home/Student, and my comp dies, can I then install it on my new computer, or will I need to drop another $150?:-l

2.Can I get older versions of MS Office at lower prices?  I feel like 07 or 13 would suffice.

3.Where is the best place to buy MS Office?  I presume there aren't many price variations, but every dollar counts! :-)

4. I tried OpenOffice and didn't really like it.  What are some of your favorite alternatives?

Thank you for your time and insights.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

1) Yes, you can install it on a different computer if the first one becomes inoperable.

2) Check the web.

3) Check the web.

4) Open Office is probably the best known alternative. Personally, I always use the original (MS Office).

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

I actually prefer LibreOffice as an alternative to MS-Office over OpenOffice.   OpenOffice has been languishing for a couple of years now.

I could have sworn I kept a list of both free and paid alternatives to MS-Office, as the subject comes up frequently on the blind technology lists I participate on, but I can't find it.  I do see that I have downloaded WPS Office Free and SoftMaker Free Office, so you might want to look into those as well, depending on what your needs are.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

1.If I get MS Office Home/Student, and my comp dies, can I then install it on my new computer, or will I need to drop another $150?:-l

2.Can I get older versions of MS Office at lower prices?  I feel like 07 or 13 would suffice.

3.Where is the best place to buy MS Office?  I presume there aren't many price variations, but every dollar counts! :-)

4. I tried OpenOffice and didn't really like it.  What are some of your favorite alternatives?

Thank you for your time and insights.

Not sure if Microsoft account is needed, but having this account should make it easy to put an installation on another Windows computer.  

MS Office is maybe the best of its kind.  Good alternatives are SoftMaker Office, and maybe WPS Office.  I would choose Softmaker Office; and you can start with Softmaker's FreeOffice.

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Also I'm not sure if it is still available or in continued development, you might like Corel Office  (price was ~ 57 dollars, about 5 years ago).  I occasionally tried checking for updates (online through the product) but none have been shown.

#6 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone.  So far Libreoffice or WPS Office seems to be the way to go.  I'll have to look into softmaker as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users