Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Printer says "Ink System Failure." How Do I Correct This?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

HP 6209a

I have some off brand ink that fits the system, and I have heard that HP made a piece in the driver that will not allow the printers to use off brand ink or even HP brand cartridges if they are refilled.  

What can I do to get this thing running?  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Most Cartridges these days have Chips on them.

They can be Refilled if you know what you are doing.

You can buy Cartridges anywhere off the Net , but they may not work , its a gamble , you pay a cheaper price and get what you get.

I would buy Genuine Stock to not have any issues , or find someone reputable that does refills.

I have a friend who does refills , and he doesnt skimp on the quality of inks used and guarantees his work.

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

I don't have anyone that I trust for the off brand ink...yet.

It's not illegal to bypass whatever it is that makes sure that nobody can use cheaper ink in their machines.  I've seen some youtube videos that show going into the control panel, and unchecking a box that sends a message or something through the driver port.  That is how they shut the machine down with the wrong ink in it.

I picked up a good HP Photosmart All in One printer for nothing from a woman who had it working, but as soon as she used some off brand ink sold to fit the printer (it fits exactly the same), it would not work any more.  

I believe that if I order some new HP ink cartridges for it, it will work, but....

....I want to know how to bypass this synthetic security in the system that shuts down the system if I don't pay the steeper prices.  

Does anyone know anything?  

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

There are some sources that sell units that will work but are confined to big box office distributors.  Not much cheaper than the originals.  I refill before the tank gets low enough to register a low ink.  I keep HP stock units for photos as the refill inks are not exactly on with hue and intensity.  B/W is fine, buy the XL tank and run it forever, mine are in a HP 1550 and HP 5550 unit.  Both AIO in two homes.  The 5550 is the workhorse for  photos and it will do CD prints and 4 by 5 photo card stock.  The HP inks will last longer under indirect sunlight, lower end inks can fade in two days, leaving colors look bland.  The units with "tanks" not cartridges are a real headache to keep running "nice", not good unless it has been cleaned recently.  Too much tubing and extra hardware to fail and leave a mess.  I'm sure there are ways to circumvent the HP page counter on each cartridge, even set it to max and it never changes, but HP would be all over anyone divulging a "trade secret" about their most lucrative product.

Edited by mjd420nova, 21 November 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

"HP would be all over anyone divulging a "trade secret" about their most lucrative product."

All over anyone?  On the internet?  Hehe, the thing I know about the "internet republic" is it is too big for any central rule of thought to control it.  The harder conformity is pushed, the more it questions, and then hacks it all the way around until the roots are out of a ground, and a frames for a "hacker app" bride are formed over, tunneled under, and there are 100 or more apps mapping out all of the "machine guns nests" and "how to gechu through.  

If there was a way around this one, someone would have picked up on it by now.  But obviously there is not, or I'd have found it.  

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

I will say this.  Never on any account by an HP.  Why bother? 

They have sold their souls to practice of obsolescence, and their stock is going to look like GM and Ford's.  Once you are a blight in the order of things, it is a long, hard, and expensive road to return.  

I believe you about the quality of the ink.  For the prices it better be the best in the world.  But as far as repairing and doing anything with these things their customer service all of the way around from website to phone is hated by almost everyone online based on what I have researched.  And everyone knows they rig their machines from screws to clippy things and all else, so you just have to toss it in the trash.  Look at the printer head.  That can't cost more than a dollar to make, but it costs retail as much as the printer itself.  I'm sure it is the same way for all of the ink and cartridges as well.  

It don't last as long these days with the global word of mouth web we have.  Once you cop a bad rap on here, it's by by birdie.  So goes for a lot of things beside just company behavior and products.

:trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users