Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Take Old Hard Drive & Use It On PC w/o Hard Drive/s?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

I thought this would be simple.  I have some Hard Drives with a bunch of old data on them I've been saving.  I got an older computer today without the Hard Drive access them with.  

They have Windows XP on them already.

What do I do?

I have connected them, and the computer does not boot up.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

You need a USB adapter to connect the old drives to a working Windows computer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable/131139498971?hash=item1e8885f3db:g:s-EAAMXQyY1TRO34

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

If you mean that you took a hard drive out of one computer and expect to connect it to another computer to boot, it wont.

You will get a Blue Screen of Death almost every time since the entire system configuration has changed.

Depends on what this sentence means

I got an older computer today without the Hard Drive access them with.

Does that mean the older computer came with no hard drive or does that system boot?

If you mean that you have hard drives that you want to get data off of then get a sata to usb adapter

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Okay, I bought an older computer that a fella took the hard drive out of, and I have some older hard drives that I want to access in the older computer system.  

Is that possible?  If so, how?

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

First, get a drive, and wipe it using any of several Linux based distros (free for download). Reset a new partition and format NTFS. OR if you have a Windows install CD, you can use that to do the formatting. Install Windows so that the computer boots clean into it.

Second, slave your old drive (install it as a 2nd drive but do not boot to it).

Third,  boot your system, and in Explore you will see the slaved drive and will be able to access the files on it.

Option: You can use a virtual Linux distro such as FATDOG64  to load into virtual and run from the DVD drive; quite possibly you can access the installed old drive and access the data on it. Note this is for 64 bit processors. I do believer that Hirens will boot 32 bit processors, I am not sure. But...when you boot it, use the mini-XP option in the menu that appears.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Okay, so Linux is going to allow me the access to all files that were in a Windows XP OS operation?  Is that true for any operating system there are like Windows 10, 7, etc etc?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

It certainly works on 7 and 8.1. I cannot guarrantee it for 10 because I have never tried it on 10.

There are also 32 bit versions of Puppy linux available - see Mike Walsh's Puppy thread in the Linux section. As far as I know, all Puppies will run purely in RAM and most other distros of Linux will as well, you don't need an installed hard drive to get them up and running.  And once you have them running you can access any operational hard drive and access the data files on it then move them to external storage or wherever you want.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Sounds good.  I think I know what I'll do from here.  Thanks, all. 

#9 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:53 AM

Can I use a USB flash drive data stick to boot up a computer with no hard drive in it?  

I was thinking that I could put a Distro on the stick, boot it up, and then access a one of the hard drives I have from my old computers.  After accessing that, then put a distro on one of the HDD's.  That way I can use that one as the primary HDD with an OS, so I can enslave the other two HDD's.  

I'm an abolitionist.   :grinner:   Just saying.  

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Yes, that is generally considered the better way to run a Linux distro either in RAM or as an install method. Use 'Rufus' by Akeo software to create a bootable USB. Rufus only does one job, but does it very well - it takes an ISO of an OS and turns into a bootable USB stick !

Even if you decide you want to install the Linux distro of your choice onto one of these hard drives you are best to let it boot from the USB and, once you get to the desktop, then click on the install button. When installing you are presented with several choices of which one is 'Use the whole disk'. If you have no intention of dual booting on the drive select this option.

One quirk of Linux, which makes it so useful as a servicing tool, is that, while the Windows OS cannot 'see' a Linux partition, Linux can read a Windows partition and manipulate the files stored on it thus allowing you, for example, to recover data before doing a major Windows repair.

I am not pretending that, as your OS, Linux is entirely user friendly or intuitive. You will find a topic of mine in the Linux section about how it took me a week and a half to get a laptop to dual boot. Some distros, Mint for example, are much more user friendly than others in that they work in the GUI in a manner much the same as Windows but you will still find yurself needing to get some familiarity with 'Terminal', the command line function. I make no pretense to be an expert but I like Linux and it is my intention to move to it as my primary OS. I haven't got there yet !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#11 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

It seems like computer guys like Linux.  

I was thinking about how am I going to present a computer out there, and make a profit.  If the Windows OS is costing a bundle, then I can't compete, and that market is not worth it for too long.  But if I can just put a Linux OS on there, then viola!  The price comes in just right.  

If later someone wants to buy up the Windows, they can navigate the world to find, or they can ask me to do it for a fee...once they understand what it costs.  

I hear a lot of people using Windows 7.  Why is that?  

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

People use Windows 7 because it is one of the best and most stable versions of Windows Microsoft has ever written, since XP.

8 Flat sucked and I HATE 10!

"I was thinking about how am I going to present a computer out there, and make a profit.  If the Windows OS is costing a bundle, then I can't compete, and that market is not worth it for too long.  But if I can just put a Linux OS on there, then viola!  The price comes in just right. "

If you feel like writing 50 million lines of code and making sure that every configuration on every hardware and software base works perfectly.

Good programmers are paid well for a reason.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

8 Flat sucked

That's being too kind.

#14 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

People use Windows 7 because it is one of the best and most stable versions of Windows Microsoft has ever written, since XP.

8 Flat sucked and I HATE 10!

"I was thinking about how am I going to present a computer out there, and make a profit.  If the Windows OS is costing a bundle, then I can't compete, and that market is not worth it for too long.  But if I can just put a Linux OS on there, then viola!  The price comes in just right. "

If you feel like writing 50 million lines of code and making sure that every configuration on every hardware and software base works perfectly.

Good programmers are paid well for a reason.

Are you saying that Linux is not compatible with a lot of things?  I worry about that, but for first rung people like immigrants or rehabbers etc that need that first rung at price, I think that Linux can get them past "Go."  

#15 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

But if I were to install Windows 7 in everything I rebuild or whatever, what is there to it?  How much cost is that for me per test and re-build I put out there?  

Also if you use Windows 7, you must have some good security system that prevents you from getting bombed up by bugs and/or hackers, so what technique is popular for IT guys?  I was thinking VMware for starters, but I think that gets back into the weeds with cost as well, and I'm really trying to provide an home or mobile internet terminal for people that have the real hard budgets.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users