Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC build. 2 setups. Help and suggestions please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nfilipe

nfilipe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hi!

I am thinking of getting a new pc and since I'm not at all a knowledgeable person of computers, I would appreciate some suggestions.

The goal of this build will be gaming heaven xD.. those AAA type games. And the longer this configuration lasts.. the better. My budget is about 1000-1200€ (1100$-1400$). 

I already have an hdd and an ssd (crucial mx200 250Gb) that I will keep, but since my samsung hdd is probably 7 years old and although it never gave me any signs of malfunction, I am looking to buy a new one just in case. hdd are cheap nowadays anyway.

First I would also like to ask if the new I7 8700K is worth the money? I mean, I do think it's a beast but so is the price.. and does a gaming pc really need a top of the game cpu?

Here are some configs I looked up:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
BOARD - MSI B350M PRO-VDH 
RAM - CRUCIAL 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHZ BALLISTIX SPORT LT RED/WHITE/GREY
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB
CASE - Nox Hummer ZX 
PSU - Seasonic S12 520w 
HDD - WD Caviar blue 3,5” 1TB 

This is around 1000€.

CPU - Intel i5 8600K
BOARD - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING
RAM - CRUCIAL KIT 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 2400MHZ BALLISTIX SPORT LT RED
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB
CASE - ATX COOLER MASTER MASTERCASE 5
PSU - EVGA MODULAR SUPERNOVA 650W 80+ GOLD
HDD - 3.5" Toshiba DT01ACA 3TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III or WD 2TB SATA III 64MB BLACK (the toshiba one is almost lower than half the price in my country.. am i missing something?)

Almost 1300€ 

The second build might be overkill.. I dont know. I just wanted something that would last me some good years before having the need to upgrade again.
I am open to other suggestions, as I said.. not at all a well informed person in terms of tech.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is perhaps the best value for dollar processor right now and the system will be viable for many years to come.

No need to go high end, if you go with your first build you would have a great machine though do have the same power supply as your proposed intel build.

I would also look into more cases too

overall if you go with the ryzen you will have one heck of a good gaming rig with great multitasking

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 November 2017 - 08:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Why the two systems have different hard drives, cases, PSU's etc.?  Makes it hard to compare value...

Anyway, I think some of the Coffee Lake processors are good value but supply is limited, meaning pricing is all over the place currently, and at present the only released motherboard chipset is the Z-370 - which are quite pricey.  The surprise package is the 6 core i5-8400 which outperforms it's apparent lowly base clock speed, for (based on manufacturers base price) a very modest price making it, IMO a great deal.  Having said that, the Ryzen 5 1600 would do a great job.  It's fantastic value. You can't go wrong with it really.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 nfilipe

nfilipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Thank you both for your input!

Why the two systems have different hard drives, cases, PSU's etc.?  Makes it hard to compare value...

You are right. I just wanted to show more options instead of just changing the usual and most important things like CPU and GPU. 

I would also look into more cases too

You mean, go the first build but stick the psu of the second build?

And could you please give me a suggestion for a case? Just what comes at mind right of the bat 

i5-8400 which outperforms it's apparent lowly base clock speed, for (based on manufacturers base price) a very modest price making it, IMO a great deal.  Having said that, the Ryzen 5 1600 would do a great job.  It's fantastic value. You can't go wrong with it really.

The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is perhaps the best value for dollar processor right now and the system will be viable for many years to come.

So basically you guys think that the new coffee lakes although good cpus.. are just too overpriced right? 

I did include the amd cpu in the first build simply due to the amount of times I saw it referenced in other build suggestions. The i5 was due to a a noobish move, I admit, of simply going to cpu benchmark and pick one at the top and with what I was thinking an acceptable price.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Yeah i would go more with the first build but change a few things:

Here is a good PC partpicker list:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZxLtJ

Edit: made a few corrections, made a few misclicks my fault.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 06:33 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 nfilipe

nfilipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yeah i would go more with the first build but change a few things:

Here is a good PC partpicker list:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZxLtJ

Edit: made a few corrections, made a few misclicks my fault.

Thank you for this!

Maybe Ill get some great deals during this black friday xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users