Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Options for Small Business in Strange Building Situation!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OneEye434

OneEye434

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a situation where we own a small food business that is inside a large warehouse style market which has it's own wifi for our use. Recently we had an issue with the power becoming unreliable and our fridges turned off and we lost a lot of food because we did not have any alarms or alerts for the fridges to warn us so i have purchased a wireless temperature logger from www.wirelesstempuratelogger.com.au. This is exactly what i need for the business however the website made it seem like the system would work directly off the wifi in the warehouse but once we recieved the item, we have found that we need to connect to the modem or router directly. The system is basically 2 sensors that we put in each of the fridges which wirelessly connect to an Ethernet Base Station and this station is what needs to be physically connected to the modem or router. The problem is that (1) the modem is for the main business and i doubt the owners will allow me to plug into the modem (2) i don't trust the owners not to fiddle or unplug the connection if it was in the way and (3) i am pretty sure that the modem is too far away from our store for the base station to be able to connect with the sensors.

So my question is are there any ideas for how i can connect the Base Station to utilize the wifi or an i looking at having to have a telephone line installed to our site so i can plug into the system or my own internet setup?

Thanks.

Edited by OneEye434, 20 November 2017 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OneEye434

OneEye434
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

Anyone able to assist?

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

Maybe you could use an accesspoint in client mode.

This means that the accesspoint works in the reverse order. You connect the radio in it to the existing Wifi and then it will deliver internet on the ethernet port.
Which you could connect to the temperature measuring equipment you have.

Hth

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users