Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Critical_Process_Died. W10 reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Banksman

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Hi All,

I’ve got a Lenovo All In One Desktop. I’ve had a Windows 10 failure with the attached BSOD. It was working fine, I rebooted without even powering off completely, now I get this every time. I’ve tried all repair options, booting to safe mode, etc and everything fails – seemingly on the same point in the log in sequence (before I get to any kind of Windows log in screen – but not long before that point). I can get a DOS prompt and all seems to be fine with the hard drive so I think it is software related.

If anyone has any bright ideas of how to quickly solve that, much appreciated, but assuming it will need a recovery….

…I’ve downloaded the Windows 10 iso and made a recovery USB to boot from (on a different, working computer obviously). The second picture (from the asterisk and note) is the advice from MS tech support and the third screen grab is the one I get a the point where I have now reached and don’t want to proceed from without an expert to guide me. There are 6 partitions, the one you can’t see is LRS_ESP, 500Mb total, 167Mb free, type: OEM (reserved). Can anyone tell me what, if any partitions I should delete as per the tech advice, please? Note: when clicking on each one, partition 3 is the only one that suggests I can install Windows on to it.

Will I still have all my personal files when I reinstall or will it wipe them? Everything I need is in My Documents & My Pictures, pretty much. It would be useful if I still had printer drivers / virus software / Malware Bytes etc when I have recovered it but not the end of the world if I need to reinstall them. I do have most things backed up externally.

The fly in the ointment could be this: I have a touch screen (that I never really wanted) that is malfunctioning (I definitely didn’t want that) and I just deactivate it in Device Manager and I exist “old school” with a mouse and a keyboard. The malfunction is that when activated it is like someone is tapping all over the touch screen – so you can imagine icons and buttons are constantly “being clicked” all over the screen etc. This concerns me that because with a reinstall of Windows I guess it will reactivate the touch screen and I hope that the ghost fingers pressing all over my screen don’t screw up the reinstall (by “clicking” a cancel button that might appear, for example) before I can get into Device Manager (Human Interfaces) to halt it. I’m kind of resigned to the fact I’ll need to trust to luck on this and hope it works, but if there is any advice on this matter then it would be brilliant to hear. This is one of the reasons I’m trying to keep a reinstall as a last resort. I’ve tried in the past to look at a way of permanently disabling the touch screen (because it reactivates sometimes on major Windows updates) but with no joy.

Sorry it’s long, I probably still haven’t included all information that someone needs to help me! If that is the case, please ask away as I’d be eternally grateful of any help and this forum has served me very well with some very kind experts in the past.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Banksman

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Any help much appreciated, I'm really keen to get back on my computer......

Edited by Banksman, 21 November 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding - I didn't notice your post in my email notifications (see my sig below for the reason)

Backup your stuff first.  That's the most important thing here for now.

You can download and reinstall any programs that you might need and the same goes for the printer drivers (as long as they're compatible w/W10)

The benefit of that is that you'll download the latest version - so compatibility problems should be avoided then.

If you delete all the partitions, Windows will recreate the one's that it needs.
The drawback to this is that it'll remove the Lenovo recovery partition.

If you don't need the Lenovo recovery partition, then feel free to delete them all - then let the installer recreate them.

FYI - you will lose all of your data if you do this - and all of the Lenovo programs.

If you go with this method, be sure to test the touchscreen BEFORE you add a bunch of other programs.
That way you can tell if problem is still there, or if it was a corruption of the drivers and the reinstall fixed it.

If it's not fixed, then be sure to disable it again.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users