Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Upgrades, what if my computer won't Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

What if a computer cannot Upgrade Windows 10 to a new Version, can it stay at 1703 or even an earlier release?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:01 AM

Hello, the logs need to be analyzed in oreder to be able to determine the root cause.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

@softwaremaniac, I should have rephrased the question a little.  I'm more interested in if a computer can stay at an earlier Version without to many issues regardless of why it can't.  After some googling it seems the answer is NO, how sad is that?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

pcpunk,

You would be incorrect.  Microsoft has already stopped upgrading Windows 10 on one set of processors (and I can't for the life of me remember which ones, but I seem to recall "clover" being part of the class name) beyond either Version 1607 or 1703 because the manufacturer is not making chipset driver updates necessary to have those updates work.

Now, mind you, I can't imagine that any given Version of Windows 10 will be maintained, in perpetuity, but I'll bet that a number of them will have ongoing security patches applied after their "general retirement dates" for platforms that cannot go further.

I don't see how this is any different that any other operating system when it comes to the march of time and older hardware.  No manufacturer is going to attempt to maintain an OS that is backward compatible in perpetuity and none does.   Microsoft has actually been the best at doing this at all.  Resources are going to be directed toward newer hardware which is what makes business sense in the world of computing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users