Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes black screen and GPU fans rev to 100%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shikarebel

shikarebel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Hello guys I have been having this issue with my pc for the past few days. Randomly my monitor will go black screen and I can hear my fans rev up to 100%. I say randomly because it can happen while gaming or watching a video or seemingly anything that uses the gpu. When this happens I can still hear everything clearly. I can hear my game or videos playing. I tried waiting up to a minute and the display does not come back, and the only way to stop this is to remove power from the pc.

My specs:
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080
Mobo: Asus Z270 A
PSU: Corsair CX750
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 Corsiar Vengeance

What I have tried:
Reinstalling NVIDA drivers
Fresh booting windows
Stress testing gpu and CPU to try to recreate scenario(did not change still pseudorandom)
Reseating CPU, GPU and RAM

Honestly I'm totally lost on what it could be so please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hello shikarebel,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode only (no networking).

PSU: Corsair CX750

Good brand of PSU but the CX range is not ideal for high end gaming rigs and overclocking, we may need to check the output on this.

#3 shikarebel

shikarebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yeah I have booted it into safe mode and the current solution I am trying is plugging the psu directly into the wall rather than a powerstrip and it stopped the current frequent crashes. I'll cross my fingers for now.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Yeah I have booted it into safe mode 

Are you saying that the problem was still the same when booting into Safe Mode only (no networking). 

#5 shikarebel

shikarebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Yes the problem was random and persisted through safe mode

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for confirming, that would normally suggest a hardware issue.

If the computer remains stable connected directly to the wall socket then you could be right in that the power strip is faulty, getting late here so will be going offline soon but the following "to do" if the computer remains stable, another member may chime in meanwhile but if not I will be around tomorrow morning UK time and will take a look at any results;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users