Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Firefox.exe processes showing in my task manager

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SoFiA11

SoFiA11

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:14 AM

Hello!

When I open Firefox I get multiple firefox.exe processes (usually 4 or 5, the number varies) showing in my task manger. I don't know how that happened and the thing is it slows down my browser. I'm using Windows 7.

I haven't take any steps to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

2 firefox.exe running in the background whenever I open Firefox | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

QUOTE:

This could indicate that your Firefox is using a new "multiprocess" feature.

e10s

One of the headline changes in Firefox 48+ is e10s, which separates the browser interface process from the page content process. The performance impact of this can vary a lot between systems: many users find it faster, some find it slower, for many it's neutral. There probably is somewhat more memory use than when everything runs in a single firefox.exe process.

Are you using e10s?

You can check whether you have this feature turned on as follows. Either:

• "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Troubleshooting Information
  • (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
  • type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter

In the first table on the page, check the row for "Multiprocess Windows" and see whether the number on the left side of the fraction is greater than zero. If so, you are using e10s.

If you are using e10s:

If you think Firefox is not performing well or is using an unreasonable amount of resources now, you could evaluate whether e10s is causing this problem by turning it off as follows:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste autos and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 preference to switch the value from true to false

Note: the exact name of the preference may vary, but it will start with browser.tabs.remote.autostart

At your next Firefox startup, it should run in the traditional way. Any difference?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 SoFiA11

SoFiA11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

oh my god thanks so much!! i was so sure it was a virus i didn't even check the support forum!!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

No problem...you are not the first to inquire about the multi-processes...you're welcome.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Appears this is problem with Firefox 57.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1183486

This says in FF57 that you cannot change 'Content process limit' to a smaller number. They're correct, I don't have that option.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1183315

This person is really taking a performance hit.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1188903

I checked the "prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser" as mentioned here but it made no difference.  When the browser just opens to the FF home page I get 5 FF processes running.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1184485

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit Ultimate and Firefox 57.0.2.

FWIW, In the (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information, the row for "Multiprocess Windows" states "1/1 (Enabled by default)".

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

Multiple firefox.exe processes showing in task manager is not a problem, it is normal behavior (electrolysis or e10S) intended to improve the browser's security, speed, performance and stability (crash resistant). The trade-off with multiple processes is increased CPU and memory usage since each process contains an instance of the browser's rendering engine.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 PuzzledToo

PuzzledToo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

It sometimes appears to affect CPU usage also. The other day my CPU cooling fan started revving up. Task manager showed CPU usage at 49% and had only 1 or maybe 2 tabs open. That's when I notice all the FF processes. And one of the FF processes was more than 1,000,000K.

Maybe FF is faster but cranking up my CPU usage to 49% seems excessive. FWIW my CPU is a 3 GHz quad core AMD.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

It likely depends on what is happening on the websites concerned - currently on my 2.4GHz i5 laptop, taskmanager shows 7 firefox processes running. I have 4 tabs open, one of which is playing a demo file of a pipe organ. The CPU usage is occasionally peaking up to 9%, typically between 2% and 5%. As I'm typing this the music file has ended and CPU is ticking between 0% and 3%.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

It's all part of the trade off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016