Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pass Windows from a HD to another

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Merlovisk

Merlovisk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

I have a HP laptop that doesn't load windows, as it just overheat and turns off as windows is starting. But, when this happens, it loads the System Recovery from HP and there is a way I can access the disk files.
So this is the situation: I assume the problem is in the HD I'm using, so I've took another HD and intend to install in the laptop. But I don't want to buy another windows license. If I move the windows files from the HD to another, the Windows will work? If so, how do I manage the partitions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

A HDD will not cause a laptop to overheat in the time it takes to load Windows. How have you determined that the laptop is shutting off due to overheating? If the laptop does shut off from overheat before Windows has time to boot up, there's a major problem with the conduction of heat away from the CPU - the heatpipe has lost contact with the CPU, or has lost its gas and is not moving any heat away from the CPU.

On the other hand, if the system allows you to go into the Recovery Console and access files without shutting down, then it's unlikely that overheating is actually the problem. If the system is actually shutting off due to a corrupted Windows installation, then if the existing hard drive was cloned across to another drive, it would just be the same corrupted Windows, and still shut off.

Could you please clarify just how the system is behaving, and how you have established overheating as the cause?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Merlovisk

Merlovisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:14 AM

When I boot the laptop, windows starts to initiate, but after a moment the "starting windows" screen freeze and the temperature starts to rise. After moment the laptop just turns off. I tried everything in the recovery screen such as load a restoration point or do a factory reset but nothing worked.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

is the fan spinning? can you hear it and feel air moving?   if you can hear the fan moving but can't feel good airflow then the vents may be plugged blocking airflow.

#5 Merlovisk

Merlovisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

is the fan spinning? can you hear it and feel air moving?   if you can hear the fan moving but can't feel good airflow then the vents may be plugged blocking airflow.

The laptop just overheats when the windows is initiating. When it is in the recovery screen, the temperature is quite normal.
And the coolers are working fine, without any obstructed airflow. I think the probl might be a windows corrupted file or something like that.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Merlovisk,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We're happy that you've chosen us and will do what we can to assist. 

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, tapping the F8 key at boot to see what happens? I'm kind of curious myself as to how the computer can overheat so quick. As to the drive, if it is corrupted, then a clone to another will be no different, the underlying issue(s) will still be there & why unless I know with 100% certainty that all is well, won't attempt the operation. Whatever issue(s) must be fixed first, yet you have to boot into Windows to run the needed tools (sfc /scannow, chkdsk, etc). While I've successfully performed Malware scans & infection cleanup on drives connected by a docking station to another PC, am not sure that these types of operations can be performed connected to another Windows computer. 

In regards to restoring the OS, it would had been best to create a Recovery Disc set (usually 3-4 DVD's) that would have given you a like new Windows install, provided the new drive is the same size as original or larger. Still, you don't need to purchase a new Windows license. If by chance your computer is BIOS/MBR (not UEFI/GPT) based, you can use a partition tool to make Recovery the Active partition. Here's a bootable one, although must be installed on another computer to create the bootable CD. All that's needed is a CD to burn the image, or better if your have a spare, use Rufus to create a bootable USB Flash drive of the tool (2nd link).

https://www.disk-partition.com/features/make-bootable-cd.html 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Just make sure, as shown in picture, that the type of computer your have (BIOS-CSM or UEFI) is selected, this is important, then choose the image you downloaded, may have to select ISO image from the list, then you're ready to click Start. This small of a bootable image won't take long to create, maybe a minute. If by chance you don't have a USB stick or don't feel comfortable, that's OK, burn the image to CD (or DVD), whichever you have. No special software is needed for this if on a computer running Windows 7 or newer, just right click onto the image & select 'Open With' Windows Disc Image Burner. Gets the job done, as long as the media & image are good. Then I believe with HP, power & hit the ESC key, open the DVD tray, insert the media & close, then choose the option shown to boot from the optical drive (mine shows 'F10'), although models varies. 

Once booted into the Rescue environment, you'll see all of your partitions, select Recovery (usually at right end, around 10-12GB partition) & make it Active, then click Apply at top of screen. The next step is important, simply eject the drive, close the tray & the program, it'll reboot into Recovery & after done, the proper partition will be set back to Active. 

That is, provided you have no hardware issues. :)

Just so happens, that AOMEI is one of the last to offer a bootable rescue CD or drive for no cost, most of the rest now charges. That's why I'm so glad that I downloaded the ones I now have when these were free. 

I've done my best to explain, while a bit long, done my best to include as many details as possible. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users