Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitoring Children

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hey ya'll,
Hope this is not in the wrong forum...

I got up this morning to discover that at least one of our teenagers are getting online after we go to bed...
I am sure of one, not sure of the other because he knows how to delete his cookies, history, etc... I don't want to jump the gun here, and blame just one, very possible they are doing this together! I want to be able to hold each one accountable...Blah Blah Blah

I tried to download iProtectYou (found it here), but my AV picks it up as Spyware, and won't let it install correctly. I tried to disable my AV while installing, but as soon as I enabled it again, it immediately found it...back to square one.

Is there another way to limit or monitor there use? (Short of taking the power cord to bed with me...). Is it possible to prevent them from deleting there cookies and history? They both have limited accounts, but have not been able to find an option to do this.

Safe to say...IT'S DISCUSSION TIME HERE !!! :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edited by killmypc, 24 September 2006 - 09:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

http://www.k9webprotection.com/about.html

The above program is free to home users and with it you can control computer usage time.

Edited by buddy215, 24 September 2006 - 09:46 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

Thanks buddy215,
I will check it out...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

Limit your children's user times on a computer

If you have children and want to restrict computer use for playing games or Internet access at night when you can't supervise them, Windows XP provides a tool for this.

To access this tool you must log-on to the computer with an administrator level account.

After you log-on use the Windows Command Prompt.

Click Start/ Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt.
At the Command Prompt type the following:

net user AccountName /times:

Replace "AccountName" with your child's Windows account name.

Then add specific times to the end of the command as shown below. These will be the times during which your child can log onto Windows. Any time not included is restricted.

You can specify a day or days along with a time range.
For example, use the following to allow computer use only on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

net user AccountName /times:Sa,9AM-5PM

You can also specify a range of days.
For example, use the following to allow computer use Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.:

net user AccountName /times:M-F,10AM-10PM

You can even put different schedules together.
For example, use the following to allow computer use Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.:

net user AccountName /times:M-F,10AM-10PM;Sa,9AM-5PM

To indicate days of the week, use the abbreviations M, T, W, Th, F, Sa and Su. To indicate times, use only whole hours. If you mix schedules, separate each with a semicolon as in the above example.

To remove the restrictions use the following command:

net user AccountName /times:ALL

#5 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers:
PERFECT!!

THANK YOU Enthusiast, Very Helpful.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

Other than the above handcuffs attached to the bed rails seem to work well too. :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

Great tip Enthusiast!

I've got 2 teenaged boys and they try their darndest to get around the restrictions.

The most effective tool that I've found is supervision. Check for logins at inappropriate times. Password protect your router and have it log traffic.

Then, when the kids don't obey - give them consequences that are appropriate and that you can enforce (restriction, no money, etc)

You don't need to tell them how you found out - just that you did and that you are enforcing the rules. IMO this teaches them values and (although it's harder) eventually they'll learn why rules are rules.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

Other than the above handcuffs attached to the bed rails seem to work well too. :inlove:

Thought about it.... :thumbsup:

Both of our kids know it is against the rules..., they have 'tested the waters'...
and they will find them COLD and DEEP!! :flowers:

Their computer privileges have been suspended....indefinitely.
And before they are allowed back on again, they will furnish all their information for 'Myspace' and e-mail...(user names and passwords), so I can log on as them, and really see whats going on!!

'There's a new sheriff in town, and his name is @#%&' !!!!! :trumpet:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

Enthusiast that would make an excellent mini-tutorial. This is great.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

Enthusiast that would make an excellent mini-tutorial. This is great.

Agreed....100%

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

The ap that buddy215 posted looks like it will work well in accompaniment with the XP settings as you can restrict individual sites as well as types of sites in combination with the times of allowed use that the XP settings will allow you to do.

#12 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

http://www.k9webprotection.com/about.html

The above program is free to home users and with it you can control computer usage time.

This is VERY user friendly...it's nice to be able to add/remove from the allow/block list this easy. :thumbsup:

Between the Event Viewer, Command entries, and K9.... :flowers:

Thanks ya'll!

#13 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

K9webprotection is awesome! :thumbsup:

The ability to block the keywords in the URL for search...Love It!!
Very easy to set the time restrictions (will test it tonight).

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users