Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a Safe Source to Download an English version of Firefox 56

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

I had to delete the NEW and NOT IMPROVED FIREFOX and now can't locate an ENGLISH VERSION of the previous Firefox.    THANKS please !

Someone gave me a link but it has lots of "choices" of versions and each one of tried is in some other language incomprehensible to me - don't want to have to download each one as it takes considerable time only to have it be another language.

Edited by JayJax, 19 November 2017 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

This seems to be it:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0/

Use this at your own risk. Select the system architecture, language (If you want English US, then select en_US), and then download the .exe file. You will also have to disable automatic updates of Firefox if you don't want it to update itself to Firefox Quantum.

Edited by iMacg3, 19 November 2017 - 11:26 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM.

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

This seems to be it:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0/

Use this at your own risk. Select the system architecture, language (If you want English US, then select en_US), and then download the .exe file. You will also have to disable automatic updates of Firefox if you don't want it to update itself to Firefox Quantum.

Thanks - I must be missing something, how do I select the system architecture and language - where do I select en_US ?  I don't see anything referencing those things at all ?   I hate to appear illiterate but in this case I must be.

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• 1,450 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

When you first click on the link, select either win32 or win64 - that's the system architecture. After selecting that, a window with languages will pop up. Scroll down and select en_US. Then download the file.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

When you first click on the link, select either win32 or win64 - that's the system architecture. After selecting that, a window with languages will pop up. Scroll down and select en_US. Then download the file.

THANKS I've got it now.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

I meant to ask about how to ensure AUTOMATIC UPDATES on FIREFOX don't happen.   For that reason I did not include the Firefox Maintenance download just now.   I also selected "check for updates but let me choose when to install"

Is there anything I'm missing?  It seems like updates have a way of sneaking thru at times.

Edited by JayJax, 20 November 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#7 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• 1,450 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

Once you have firefox 56 installed, follow the below instructions.
  • Click on the Menu bar (three dots in upper right hand corner) and then select Options
  • Click Advanced, then Update
  • Then select your update preferences
This should stop firefox from automatically updating.

Regards, iMacg3

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,995 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Unless there is some desperate reason you must have version 56, if you wish to have a pre-Quantum version that will not self-update you should consider Firefox ESR.

See:  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

You are probably better with ESR than to stick on 56 (which has unpatched security issues). Some of the new extensions (those wthout a legacy mode) don't work well in ESR, but ESR will let you keep firefox patched while still being able to use classic add-ons and while still keeping the older more familiar interface.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Once you have firefox 56 installed, follow the below instructions.

• Click on the Menu bar (three dots in upper right hand corner) and then select Options
  • Click Advanced, then Update
  • Then select your update preferences
This should stop firefox from automatically updating.

Thanks for the info !

Edited by JayJax, 21 November 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

You are probably better with ESR than to stick on 56 (which has unpatched security issues). Some of the new extensions (those wthout a legacy mode) don't work well in ESR, but ESR will let you keep firefox patched while still being able to use classic add-ons and while still keeping the older more familiar interface.

Thanks for the warning about the security problems with 56 and the advisory about the add-ons.   I managed to get the ESR  downloaded and installed a few minutes ago.   Not sure why I had problems with it a few days ago but anyway, hopefully all is well or at least stable for now.

Edited by JayJax, 21 November 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Unless there is some desperate reason you must have version 56, if you wish to have a pre-Quantum version that will not self-update you should consider Firefox ESR.

See:  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Thanks for the advice - I just successfulling downloaded and installed ESR a few minutes ago. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

I downloaded ESR a few days ago but it wouldn't install - the extension was not "exe" and I couldn't figure out what to use to open it - I must have done something wrong because it worked smoothly this time around.

Edited by JayJax, 21 November 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

It was an exe when I downloaded it, maybe you got the wrong file. Mine was "Firefox Setup 52.4.1esr.exe", downloaded by clicking on the UK english windows 64 bit executable option on the list by language.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

It was an exe when I downloaded it, maybe you got the wrong file. Mine was "Firefox Setup 52.4.1esr.exe", downloaded by clicking on the UK english windows 64 bit executable option on the list by language.

Thanks - I don't know what I did, must have done something wrong though because later on it was an "exe" file and so I was able to download and install.   Who knows what I did but thankfully its squared away now - for the time being til I decide to try the NEW FIREFOX again.   Hopefully by then the kinks will be worked out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users