Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser and Explorer Windows Hang, Ultimately Freeze. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hi, all

So about a month ago, during a regular reboot, I discovered my boot record had corrupted. Having been down that road once before and successfully fixed it, I attempted to fix it again to no avail. After trying different Command Prompt fixes over the course of several hours and failing, I decided to just do a clean install of Windows 10 from a Recovery USB.

Since reinstalling, the system has been experiencing the most obnoxious problems I've ever dealt with in my experience with Windows (since 3.1..).

So after fifteen to twenty minutes of using a browser (have tried Firefox and Chrome), the pages begin to hang and become unresponsive. With Chrome, I notice the "Waiting for cache" message down at the bottom of the screen. Occasionally (after several minutes sometimes), functionality might return but typically does not. I get the "Not Responding" on the title bar of the open window before the entire computer freezes and must be force restarted. If at any point while the browser is functioning that I try to say, save a file or anything which requires a file explorer window to be opened, that also hangs and sometimes causes an unrecoverable freeze.

Prior to updating all drivers and Windows, I was receiving a BSOD with SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (iAStorAV.sys). I've not received that particular error since systematically going through the Device Manager list and attempting to update every entry), have experimented with changing the virtual memory allocation, have cleared the mostly empty temp cache, have run System File Checker and a couple other things which I can't remember at the moment. This problem is driving me crazy and what's worse, I need my computer stable for online school work.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

Repeated problems may have a common cause.

Your previous problems were BCD oriented

The current problems seem to point at iaStorAV.sys - one of the drivers for the hard drive storage controller.

I'd start by suspecting the hard drive.

If it's an SSD, there's not much available to test with (SMART is predictive, it is NOT a diagnostic).  The suggestion for that is to try another hard drive (either an SSD or an HDD in order to see if that fixes the problem).

If it's an HDD, then run the Seagate Seatools long/extended test (more info on that here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html)

While you're at that page, please run the rest of the diagnostics (they're all free) and let us know the results.

While waiting for a reply, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

I ran the Sysnative diagnostic and saved the Event Viewer log. See attached. Apparently, I have a Western Digital SSD and I have no way to replace that at the moment.. hopefully it's not the drive that's the problem.  :blink:

Thanks!

C

Attached Files

Edited by ThatArmyGuy, 20 November 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

The easiest test for an SSD is to get an HDD (from a place that'll let you return it for your money back if it's not needed) and temporarily install Windows on it (no need to activate it).
That way you'll be able to use Windows for up to 30 days as a test - and you'll still have the stuff that's on the SSD.

Then, if the SSD isn't to blame, you can return the HDD during the return period and get your money back.

I noted nothing significant in the Admin log file (that I could see).  There are some DCOM issues that repeat just before the forced shutdown.
Please try this:

Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A14) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Device Manager shows problems with these devices:

Not Available    ACPI\CPL0002\2&DABA3FF&0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ACPI\SMO8810\1    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first one is either the OSD driver or the Free Fall Sensor driver - please visit the Dell support site for your model and download/install the latest, W10 compatible version of each of these.
The second one is most likely the Free Fall sensor - but we'll have to see if it goes away when you install the above driver packages.

If none of these fix the problem, then the hardware diagnostics are the way to go.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

The easiest test for an SSD is to get an HDD (from a place that'll let you return it for your money back if it's not needed) and temporarily install Windows on it (no need to activate it).
That way you'll be able to use Windows for up to 30 days as a test - and you'll still have the stuff that's on the SSD.

Then, if the SSD isn't to blame, you can return the HDD during the return period and get your money back.

I noted nothing significant in the Admin log file (that I could see).  There are some DCOM issues that repeat just before the forced shutdown.
Please try this:

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config

NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A14) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Device Manager shows problems with these devices:

Not Available    ACPI\CPL0002\2&DABA3FF&0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ACPI\SMO8810\1    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first one is either the OSD driver or the Free Fall Sensor driver - please visit the Dell support site for your model and download/install the latest, W10 compatible version of each of these.
The second one is most likely the Free Fall sensor - but we'll have to see if it goes away when you install the above driver packages.

If none of these fix the problem, then the hardware diagnostics are the way to go.

Good luck!

You were right on the money about the OSD and Free Fall Sensor unknowns in the Device Manager, those are updated. The most recent BIOS update I can find for my system appears to be the A14 BIOS that was already in place but I reinstalled it anyway. We'll see if the these things help. *fingers crossed*

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

Good luck!

#7 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Good luck!

It seemed like I was back on a track for a few hours but it's beginning to hang again. If I give it a literal minute or two, it usually comes back though sometimes its unrecoverable. I wish I could figure out what was causing it. :thumbdown:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

We can look at the reports again if you'd like - just run them again and upload the new one's like you did previously..

Generally, if there's no signs of errors in the reports - then it's gotta be a hardware problem.

To confirm a hardware problem, do a clean install of Windows.
Since you can't afford a new drive at this time, I'd suggest making an image of your system and saving that before doing a clean install.
More info on imaging can be had from the experts in the Backup forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Then, here's the way to do a clean install:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

#9 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

We can look at the reports again if you'd like - just run them again and upload the new one's like you did previously..

Generally, if there's no signs of errors in the reports - then it's gotta be a hardware problem.

To confirm a hardware problem, do a clean install of Windows.
Since you can't afford a new drive at this time, I'd suggest making an image of your system and saving that before doing a clean install.
More info on imaging can be had from the experts in the Backup forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Then, here's the way to do a clean install:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

John, I apologize for the delay; heavy work load lately. Would you please look at the most recent Event Viewer log I'm attaching to this? PC is the same as it was the last time I posted, just haven't had time to update you.

Happy holidays!

Edited by ThatArmyGuy, 23 December 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

No problem with not getting back here - I get an email when you reply.

I can't see the Event Viewer log attachment tho'

Happy Holidays to you also!

#11 ThatArmyGuy

ThatArmyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

No problem with not getting back here - I get an email when you reply.

I can't see the Event Viewer log attachment tho'

Happy Holidays to you also!

Yeah, strange it didn't show up; will attach it again.

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

I don't see anything suspicious in the Admin logfile.

There are some Distributed COM errors (that seem to occur in sets of 3 or so) that you may be able to fix by doing this:

- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config

I generally don't worry about DCOM errors, but this can't hurt.

Good luck!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users