Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FoolyCooly

FoolyCooly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

This is an OLD computer I am having issues with:

Windows XP Professional

AMD Athlon XP CPU (can't recall exact model/specs)

Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0 motherboard

EVGA GeForce 7800 GS 256MB AGP

Ultra 512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR DIMMs x2

ANTEC Neo-HE 500w PS

Hitachi SATA HDD

Various IDE optical drives

Any key pressed on the keyboard after loading Windows XP causes the computer to freeze. Mouse doesn't respond, keyboard doesn't respond.

EDIT 1 : The computer itself doesn't appear to freeze. I pressed a key on the keyboard between the Windows Product Activation select Yes/No window, and the following Let's Activate Windows window, and the computer proceeds as expected from one window to the next. The computer seems to function as normal, and only keyboard and mouse stop responding.

EDIT 2 :

I've managed to work around the Activation requirement, at least temporarily. Windows XP will still need activation but I can now boot into Safe Mode, although any activity on the keyboard still freezes the mouse and keyboard.

Hiren's Boot CD in the tray

Boot to MiniXP

Start -> Run -> type:

CMD                                                                                   to open command prompt

C:                                                                                       to get to HDD Windows is installed on

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk                               to allow me to boot to Safe Mode

I could then restart the computer while tapping F8 to boot to the desktop in Safe Mode. Now the issue is a keyboard that freezes up the mouse and keyboard, reporting as a Code 10 in the Device Manager.

END EDITS

Keyboard functions fine on other computers, and functions fine in BIOS, it also functions with no issues in Mini XP when booted from a Hiren's BootCD. Keyboard can by used to press F8 for Windows boot options, as well as pressing DELETE to open the BIOS, and continues to function in the BIOS, I can make selections and change options with no issues. Any keystroke after the Windows XP screen and the loading caterpillar causes the computer to freeze. Mouse cursor stops responding, keyboard stops responding.

The issue I am having is that this is an OLD PC which has sat under my desk since it was replaced. I installed and then removed an additional HDD from this computer, before I retired it, to copy any data I would need over to the new PC. When I uninstalled the data HDD from this PC, on the next boot, Windows required activation due to hardware changes. I forgot to activate Windows and it is now beyond the 30 day grace period so I cannot log into Windows until Windows is activated. I cannot activate Windows because when I attempt to enter my Confirmation ID, obtained from the Microsoft's activation process, the computer freezes as soon as I press a key. No number appears in the entry field, the keyboard and mouse both become unresponsive, and I am forced to restart the computer.

I have tried three keyboards to rule out hardware issues, two PS2 and one USB keyboard, with the same results. I have tried both PS2 ports on this PC as well as multiple USB ports. As soon as I press a key when attempting to enter the Confirmation ID the computer freezes.

I cannot access my device manager without logging into Windows, which I cannot do without activating Windows, which I cannot do without a keyboard, and the keyboard freezes my computer.

Sorry for any redundancy, I was trying to make the Catch 22 quality of this problem as clear as possible.

I would appreciate any help, and appreciate a working solution a great deal more.

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2017 - 09:06 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

G'day FoolyCooly, and welcome to BC

Any chance you can access the on screen keyboard....located in accessories, accessibility ...from memory.

Then again, you cant use the keyboard to get there....(just me thinking out loud)

Can you use the arrow keys on the keyboard without it freezing ?......will it boot to safe mode?...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 FoolyCooly

FoolyCooly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for the welcome, and the reply.

I can't access the software keyboard due to not being able to log into Windows. That keyboard isn't an option on the activation screen. The activation seems to be the real problem here, I'm fairly sure the keyboard issue must be either driver or registry related and will be a comparatively easy fix. If I could activate Windows and load the desktop.

I can use the keyboard arrow keys, and all keys freely, until I reach the point where Windows is loaded. After that point any activity at all on the keyboard freezes the mouse and keyboard.

I can boot to Safe Mode. The keyboard allows me to press F8 to reach the boot select screen, select Safe Mode, and I can attempt to log in, but at that point I run into the activation issue again. Windows XP will not allow the desktop to load until Windows has been successfully activated. So while I can "boot to Safe Mode" I cannot actually enter and use Safe Mode.

It's really a shame that Microsoft doesn't appear to support over-the-internet activation anymore, as that would only require mouse clicks and that I could do. Unfortunately that isn't an option anymore which leaves me needing to find a way to use the keyboard to type the Confirmation ID to activate Windows.

It's a bit of a puzzling problem.

Thanks again.

#4 FoolyCooly

FoolyCooly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

I've managed to work around the Activation requirement, at least temporarily. Windows XP will still need activation but I can now boot into Safe Mode, although any activity on the keyboard still freezes the mouse and keyboard.

Hiren's Boot CD in the tray

Boot to MiniXP

Start -> Run -> type:

CMD                                                                                   to open command prompt

C:                                                                                       to get to HDD Windows is installed on

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk                               to allow me to boot to Safe Mode

I could then restart the computer while tapping F8 to boot to the desktop in Safe Mode. Now the issue is a keyboard that freezes up the mouse and keyboard, reporting as a Code 10 in the Device Manager.

EDIT : Spelling.

Edited by FoolyCooly, 19 November 2017 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users