Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video hangs/artifacts and PC sometimes powers off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doublejz

doublejz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

So I've checked everything that I can think of.

Updated drivers, re-installed the OS. Checked core dumps, temps, stress tested the GPU, CPU, RAM everything passes.

When I stress test both the CPU and GPU together the PC shuts off like someone pulled the plug

However, if I'm playing a game above 100fps or video 75% of the time I will get GPU artifacts and the video freezes but I can hear sound still of what was playing. The other 25% of the time when the video freezes the computer locks up and needs manually power cycled.

The only thing that I can see is that the BIOS voltage looks good but when I GPU stress test the voltages seem low on the GPU as well as the CPU (should be a 1.20v on CPU).

Before I drop another $200 on a PSU that I've been running for ~7 years I'm trying to get some confirmation that I'm thinking logically here. Attached screenshots and what not for any suggestions.

Also here.

PSU
Thermaltake W0131RU 850W

Mobo
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011

CPU
i7-3930K

GPU
XFX Double Dissipation Radeon R9 290X 

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

Hard Drives
Sata drives
WD SATA WD1001FALS
WD SATA WD10EZEX
WD SATA WD2003FZEX
SSD
INTEL 180GB SATA SSDSC2BW180A4
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-75E500B/AM

Addition Drives
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-2209

Cooling
5x 130mm fans

Torture tested with Prime95 for 12 hours with no errors.

Memtest for 12 hours with no errors.

Furmark tested with no issue.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

PSU's get weaker with age.

That being said, this sounds more like a video card problem to me.

Have you monitored the temps just before the system crashes/shuts down?

How about immediately after recovering from the crash/shut down?

If so, what did you see?

Wait for the next crash/shutdown, recover, then immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users