Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10, Default Gateway Not Available

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ElAssad

ElAssad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hello everyone,

Ive been dealing with an incredibly irritating problem lately. Randomly, my Wi Fi connection drops (on any network, not just the Home one). It says limited. Running Windows Network Diagnostics resolved this issue, until today, when it stopped. Ive tried a number of fixes on the internet (resetting the tcp/ip, changing power settings, updating the driver, etc.) I have an Asus ROG laptop. Any help would be appreciated, as this is really hampering my productivity. Thanks!

Edit: During these episodes, windows network diagnostics used to reset the WiFi adapter, and fixed the problem. It no longer does that or detects a problem. When I go manually find the adapter, it says it’s “Disabled” and won’t enable when I click it. It just says “Enables” and remains disabled.

Edited by ElAssad, 19 November 2017 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

I would recommend you disable Fast Startup although this probably is not affecting your connections. After disabling startup open a command prompt and type

shutdown /s /f /t 0

This will remove the hibernation file. I would also disable, not uninstall, your Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager. Sometimes Windows 10 gets confused when both are enabled.

Do a network reset in Windows 10

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Sometimes a powercycle will help. Pull the power cord and the battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery.

You may need to reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. This would be the best option if you upgraded to 10 from a previous OS.

When you said you changed the power settings, you set the adapter to maximum power, correct? If yes, then right click the Wifi Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Power Management tab make sure the box next to Allow this pc to turn off device is not checked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 November 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#3 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Sorry for the delay. Ive disabled the Ethernet adapter, power cycled, and performed the network reset twice. And yes, youre correct, I tried those changes in Power Management that you recommended. I also rolled it back to a driver from 2016 and its still happening.

Any other suggestions?

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

Hi, we need more info. Please press the win + x keys together, select Powershell (admin) from the options, an elevated powershell prompt will open, I have written three cmds for you to run, copy each cmd then right click anywhere in the powershell window and the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter, do this for each cmd seperately. After each cmd, a notepad will open with data we need you to copy and paste these notepads into your next reply, it might be easier for you to save each one to desktop. I have put the cmds in red to highlight them for you (these are all standard MS cmd's, so perfectly safe)

Get-NetTCPSetting | out-file C:\setting.txt
Notepad C:\setting.txt

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file C:\config.txt
notepad c:\config.txt

The last cmd is deprecated in powershell, so we need to call up a dos cmd prompt, very easy in powershell, before running this cmd at the powershell prompt type:- cmd  (press enter) a dos type cmd (admin) prompt opens in powershell, now copy the cmd below and right click in the powershell window.

wmic nic get AdapterType, AutoSense, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PNPDeviceID,PowerManagementSupported, Speed, StatusInfo /Format:list > 0 & notepad 0

#5 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hi, we need more info. Please press the win + x keys together, select Powershell (admin) from the options, an elevated powershell prompt will open, I have written three cmds for you to run, copy each cmd then right click anywhere in the powershell window and the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter, do this for each cmd seperately. After each cmd, a notepad will open with data we need you to copy and paste these notepads into your next reply, it might be easier for you to save each one to desktop. I have put the cmds in red to highlight them for you (these are all standard MS cmd's, so perfectly safe)

Get-NetTCPSetting | out-file C:\setting.txt
Notepad C:\setting.txt

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file C:\config.txt
notepad c:\config.txt

The last cmd is deprecated in powershell, so we need to call up a dos cmd prompt, very easy in powershell, before running this cmd at the powershell prompt type:- cmd  (press enter) a dos type cmd (admin) prompt opens in powershell, now copy the cmd below and right click in the powershell window.

wmic nic get AdapterType, AutoSense, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PNPDeviceID,PowerManagementSupported, Speed, StatusInfo /Format:list > 0 & notepad 0

I've tried the commands above, and was unable to get them to work. I copied them exactly into an elevated Command Prompt. It says that Get-Net was not a recognized internal or external command.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hi, well those cmd's do work, the first two (as explained) have to be run under the powershell (admin) prompt. Have you done this?

The last cmd (as explained) has you typing cmd at the powershell prompt, then pressing enter, this will open a Dos type cmd prompt, then you copy and paste the last cmd. Three separate notepads should be produced. These are MS cmd's, used millions of times all over the world.

#7 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hi, well those cmd's do work, the first two (as explained) have to be run under the powershell (admin) prompt. Have you done this?

The last cmd (as explained) has you typing cmd at the powershell prompt, then pressing enter, this will open a Dos type cmd prompt, then you copy and paste the last cmd. Three separate notepads should be produced. These are MS cmd's, used millions of times all over the world.

EDIT: I apologize, I was running them in Command Prompt, not PowerShell. Will edit with new attachments soon.

Edited by ElAssad, 23 November 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#8 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

I've attached the info requested. Again, sorry for the mix-up! I didn't realize PowerShell was different from the Command Prompt. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hi, open another powershell prompt (as admin) as shown and again type:- cmd (press enter) to open a cmd prompt within powershell.

Copy the below cmd and right click in the cmd window, Press enter.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Next still at the cmd prompt type:- devmgmt.msc  Press enter.  

Device manager will open go to the main menu "view" and select "show hidden devices"

Scroll to network adapters, expand the tree and right click each and everyone of the adapters listed there, select "uninstall", if you are asked about deleting any drivers do NOT check YES, just proceed with the uninstall.

After this, Restart computer, windows will reinstall your devices, open "network and internet" underPC settings and run the "network reset" option again.

Restart computer.

You may have to redo your connection, see how you go now

#10 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

So I did what you wrote on Thursday night, and all seemed well through Friday and this (Saturday) morning. Now, the Wi Fi connection is back to limited and network diagnostics cant fix it. :/ Any thoughts?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Was this laptop an upgrade from a previous Windows OS? 

#12 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

No, it came with OEM Windows 10.

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hi, you might like to change WiFi channels to see if interference is a problem. The latest drivers can be found:-

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

It could of course be a hardware issue, new cards are cheap.

Your data supplied shows connected and global settings were optimal. The flush of devices should have cleared any on board issues, so see how the driver update goes ( do so again, even if you have the current driver) let us know how you get on. I take it you have talked to your ISP? Have them check your router...etc.

#14 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

I dont think its a router issue, since it occurs on any network (home, school, coffee shop, etc). Ill update the drivers again shortly.

#15 ElAssad

ElAssad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

I ran Intels upgrade utility and updated to the latest version (I had previously rolled back to a prior version, to see if thatd fix the problem). Ill let you know if this update makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users