Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gpu VS. Integrated graphics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EPerd

EPerd

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

For starters, I know a gpu is superior to integrated graphics... I think... Maybe... Yes? Lol

My question is, are integrated graphics ever better than a designated card/chip?

I want to get a custom laptop, and don't intend to do much graphics intensive work with it, but I am not entirely oblivious to their benefits. So my plan is, along side my i7 7700hq or i7 8550u,to get a low or mid range gpu. I'm wondering if I get a lower end gpu, will it wind up hindering more than helping?

Bonus:Any suggestions on a decent low-mid tier gpu?

Thank you for your time and insights.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,341 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Well I will say yes a dedicated GPU will be better but really integrated graphics are not so bad, Intel gets a lot of gruff but they have gotten very good at getting on board graphics to perform wondrously.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

What is the purpose of the laptop?  Will you be playing games on it?

For a laptop there should be no time when integrated graphics perform better than discrete graphics.  That's kind of the reason that a discrete graphics board is added to the machine.

The graphics you can get in the machine will vary by the amount of money you're willing to spend.  In general the higher the number the better the graphics card for nVidia cards 1080>1070>1060>1050.  The nVidia Ti cards are better than the base model.  Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge of the AMD graphics card lines.  An nVidia 1060 would probably be a good mid range card.

#4 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Fair.  I expected as much but wanted to be sure.  How much worse would you say a NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2GB GDDR5 is than a 2gb NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050?  So far, the 2 main laptops im looking at differ in that way.  I feel the former of the 2 will be adequate for my needs (streaming, light video editing, moderate photo editing and digital art creation--not 3d designing, moreso just drawing weird stuff on my laptop to put on shirts and accessories etc)

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

The MX150 seems to be the branding for a laptop spec version of the GT1030.  The latest Nvidia laptop chips seem to mostly be the exact same items as their desktop counterparts, probably modified for lower power consumption.  The MX150/GT1030 is still a significant upgrade over integrated processor graphics.  Compare the two here (it's rather technical unfortunately) - https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook-vs-GeForce-MX150_7503_8000.247598.0.html

Overall it looks like roughly a 50%-100% performance boost for the GT1050, give or take.. depending on the software you're looking at.

For what you are proposing, photo editing and drawing etc. doesn't need much GPU power IMO.  You wouldn't notice the difference.  Some video editing software can be GPU assisted, for example they can offload encoding to the GPU which can greatly accelerate the task, but it depends on the software.  If it's purely rendered by the CPU in your software, then the GPU will make no difference.  It's always worthwhile reading through software specific support forums or the software makers guidance notes for tips.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 EPerd

EPerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

Helpful as always, Jonuk.  And by helpful as always I mean stop making me read things!!! :(

Lol seriously though, it seems computer stuff, more than many other fields I've wandered into, yields 10 more questions with every good answer. Thanks for the info and link!

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,341 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

Well its not that hard to work out, computers are not that hard once you know what is what.

its the naming conventions that muddle things but its really not so hard

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2017 - 07:44 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

Here's a quick comparison of the two cards you mention.  As you can see the 1050 is quite a bit better than the 150.  You'll notice that the 1050 is listed as a desktop card, I didn't see a mobile version as an option, but didn't look too hard either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users