Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Keys wdfhjl and spacebar Not Working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FRISC0

FRISC0

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hey.

Really stuck on this one - having to you my touch screen keyboard to type everything at the moment.

Problem occurred few days ago where I booted up and keys W D F H J L including space bar stopped working. Very frustrating,I've run out of ideas to fix it, I've tried rebooting in safe mode but no avail.

Any ideas much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Is the keyboard wireless or wired?

If its wireless I would suggest moving any other wireless devices out of the way for a moment to see if it resolves your issue or try new batteries.

You can check for driver updates

1. Press windows+r type in devmgmt.msc and click ok.
  2. Expand Keyboards then right-click Standard PS/2 Keyboard and click Uninstall.
  3. Restart your computer after the uninstall. If the problem persists, it’s likely that your keyboard is being faulty and will need serviced or replaced. 

Only other option I can think of is try it on another computer if the issue follows you will likely need to get it fixed or replace it with another.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

From your description, it will almost certainly be within the keyboard itself, one line of the internal matrix the keys register on is not scanning, so those keys are not sensed. In that case, to repair, there's mostly no alternative to replacing the keyboard assembly if it's a laptop, although of course you can use a USB external keyboard to substitute. I've had success opening up a peripheral keyboard and re-plugging the connector to the flexible contact sheet under the keys to cure the symptom. But basic keyboards are so cheap now that you'd only try a repair on a sophisticated expensive version.

Edited by Platypus, 19 November 2017 - 05:05 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:49 AM

thank you for the replies. seems to of happened after a recent update to windows 10 - could it be related? if not - how do i go about fixing as described by Platypus?i have a Sony Vaio which isnt supported by sony anymore which sucks...

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

Plug a USB keyboard in and see if it has the same problem. If it works normally, the laptop's keyboard is faulty. If the USB keyboard also shows the same symptom, then it is possible an update has caused it. It would be an unusual effect, but, yesterday someone did tell me their Windows 10 lost the keyboard operation completely after updates earlier in the month. They had no need to use their computer for a couple of days, so they left it and when they next booted up, Windows updated again and the keyboard operation was restored, so presumably the faulty update was debugged and re-issued.

Edited by Platypus, 20 November 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#6 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

ill see if i can get hold of one - all i have right now is a plug in desktop keyboard that isnt usb. unless you have any other ideas i can possibly try?

thanks again

#7 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

ill see if i can get hold of one - all i have right now is a plug in desktop keyboard that isnt usb. unless you have any other ideas i can possibly try?

thanks again

The keyboard is not USB? Is it PS/2?

#8 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

the keyboard i have on my laptop is built in like any laptop but my spare keyboard form my desktop pc is an old style plug its purple on the end

EDIT: yesits PS/2 just Googled :)

Edited by FRISC0, 20 November 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#9 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

From your description, it will almost certainly be within the keyboard itself, one line of the internal matrix the keys register on is not scanning, so those keys are not sensed. In that case, to repair, there's mostly no alternative to replacing the keyboard assembly if it's a laptop, although of course you can use a USB external keyboard to substitute. I've had success opening up a peripheral keyboard and re-plugging the connector to the flexible contact sheet under the keys to cure the symptom. But basic keyboards are so cheap now that you'd only try a repair on a sophisticated expensive version.

is there a way i can fix it myself?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Have you proved yet whether the fault is in the keyboard itself, or not?

#11 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Have you proved yet whether the fault is in the keyboard itself, or not?

Have just bought a Bluetooth keyboard and can confirm it's the keyboard and not any software preventing or something on the laptop stopping the keys. A common issue I have also with my laptop (very common in Sony VAIOs) is that the right hinge is very loose and will not tighten to the laptop base as the screw has snapped through the plastic and I have had to tighten it to the frame - this is the second bottom replacement of the laptop I'm on now. Would this cause any issues with the keyboard? Sometimes when opening the laptop screen it can pull the front case up a bit which is worrying but I dont know how I can fix the hinge issue as it will just snap again and again with the weak plastic cases that SONY make. Any suggestions?

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

The hinge mounting itself shouldn't be a contributor to the keyboard problem, but if it has caused flexing, that could possibly stress the keyboard assembly, depending on how the laptop is constructed. I'd be more inclined to suspect they're unrelated. The keyboard is normally a thin sealed assembly, but some have a key section and an elastomer matrix, which could perhaps be repairable. But normally the keyboard is replaced as a unit, and can be found as a spare part with a Google search. The breaking of the plastic boss in casings is common, sometimes I've been able to put a fine metal thread screw and nut in place to strengthen it, but depends on how it's made.

#13 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Here's a few photos to show what I mean. Also my laptop is a Sony VAIO SVF153A1YM.

https://imgur.com/a/KgBSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users