Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible PSU problem on an older PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jorgeb

Jorgeb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Hi I have a PC that was pretty decent when I bought it about 8 years ago:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H 

Processor: AMD Athlon x2 250, 3000 mhz

Bios: Award Software Int. F1 31/12/2008

Windows 7

anyway, the PC is old so things have been crapping out over the past few years. The graphics card died about a year ago and since I don't really use the PC for anything that requires intensive graphics, I just started using on-board graphics to plug in the monitor via  VGA. Not too long ago I bought a second monitor (BenQ GW2470) and and am using it in tandem with the older monitor but through HDMI. This is the only major hardware change to the setup and at the time it seemed to cause suspension problems in Windows (it wouldn't wake up), which I've been working around using hibernation and not allowing the computer to enter into suspension (so it's working more). For about 6 months this seems to have worked fine.

However, recently when I boot up I think it's the PSU that emits a high pitched whining and the computer has trouble posting. Often it won't post at all, unless I unplug every peripheral, monitors, printer, webcam, speakers, etc. Once it hear the post beep I can plug everything in and it will work and, over time, the whining decreases and disappears as the computer seems to warm up.

I'm assuming this is a PSU issue, but I also wonder if the motherboard could be struggling with the new monitor?  

I'm thinking about buying a new PSU, does that seem like the right solution to this problem? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hello Jorgeb,

Could be coil whine from the PSU, what is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

unless I unplug every peripheral, monitors, printer, webcam, speakers, etc.

But none of these peripherals draw any significant power from the PSU in any case. The webcam will draw a few Watts and the speakers, if they are switched on, will draw a momentary load of a few Watts as they power up but this should not be significant. Printers, monitors and scanners - there only connections are signal connections, not power.

I would be inclined to replace the PSU first as they are (1) reasonably cheap - £20 - £50 for a basic one, and (2) easy to fit. Also, having a spare PSU around is always useful !

If replacing the PSU doesn't fix your problems I think it is time to think about replacing this computer, it has after all done you well for a reasonably long life.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Jorgeb

Jorgeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, I think I agree. I've ordered a new PSU, when I install it I'll let you know how it goes

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Sounds like a plan  :thumbup2:

You are welcome Jorgeb btw   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users