Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robobo

robobo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have an Acer T-180, 2GB RAM, otherwise virgin. In the beginning, I had Win 7 Pro that worked great. I kept being hammered about upgrading to 10. I gave in. Immediately there were boot problems, and I ran across a Windows Repair program. Being a trusting fool I clicked yes. This program apparently reinstalled the OS with some strange features. The boot problem continued and has evolved to the point it hangs for minutes on the Acer ad page with DEL for bios and f12 for the boot record. I cannot access these because the keyboard is not on. Finally, it goes to a starting windows page, stays there for several minutes. A window opens asking if I want win10 or win repair. Repair is out. After opening into win10, my settings change randomly, some disappear. Continued use slows the CPU to a crawl. Rebooting gives yet another strange behavior. Any ideas are welcomed robobo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

This computer was never meant to run Win 10 and in fact I am surprised that it ran Win 7 Pro 'well' with only 2GB of RAM.

Do you have a Win 7 install disc or do you still have the backup discs you were advised to make when you bought the computer ?  If you do I would suggest that you revert to Win 7. Your booting problems with Win 10, before you used this 'Repair' program were probably due to a lack of drivers for your mobo.

Alternatively, you could do a clean install of Win 10 but check the Acer site to see if there are any Win 10 drivers for this mobo. You can always use another computer to download the Win 10 ISO and the drivers if there are any. This still leaves the problem of getting into the BIOS.

How do your keyboard and mouse connect ?  USB, wireless or PS2 ?  I have once come across a desktop running XP which would not boot with a USB mouse connected, it had to be PS2 but once booted it would run pefectly happily with a USB mouse. It might be worth seeing if you can lay your hands on a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter. I have one sitting on my desk, just don't ask me where i got it or even why I have it !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 robobo

robobo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Chris,

Thank you for the advice. I downloaded an ISO for Win 7 Pro and made a cd and USB installers. I do have a problem with a key. I have several Windows disc from XP to 7 Pro. I was in the hospital for a week and my true and faithful wife decided my den/computer room needed a good straightening up. Now the keys are separated from the discs and I can't find what fits what.

I thought about the keyboard connection and if I can find one laying around I will give it a try. Oddly, the USB mouse will work but the mouse does not work on startup screens. I may retire this old and faithful Acer. I have another tower almost together with an Intel D945GCL much more modern board. But, it will only accept 2 GB of ram. It has a Pentium 4, 3GHZ CPU.

I will post results. Bob Baker

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

If the COA sticker is still on the side of the comptuer does is say XP or Vista? If you plan on installing Windows 7 again I highly recommend you upgrade the RAM, especially if Windows 7 was 64bit. There should be an alpha numeric number after T180 on the back of the computer. Can you provide that? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users