Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop beeping randomly and then freezing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idontknowwhatimdoing

idontknowwhatimdoing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hi, I am going crazy.

So, at first my laptop started beeping only after the screen blacked out, like it's not a screensaver but pretty much after I wouldn't do anything on it for a while. So I thought that was weird because it would stop beeping after I would move the mouse.

I didn't really think much of it, until recently it started beeping randomly, only a few times, but even while I was on it doing something, it would stop and nothing would happen.

Until a few weeks back... it literally drove me mad. It started beeping all the time, it would completely freeze and it only stopped when I turned it off by holding the power button. Then I would try to turn it back on after a few minutes and the Acer startup screen would pop up and freeze because it would start beeping again. I had to leave it for a few hours, if not overnight to use it again.

So, since I pretty much couldn't use my laptop anymore I used the 'Reset this PC' option and for a few days now everything was okay, until today I heard it beep again and I am ready to shoot myself.

Now, since I bought this laptop in March, my warranty is still valid, so I called whomever and the lady said that I can get it fixed but I would need to send it to another town because for some reason I can't do it in mine and that I would get it back in two to three weeks. But that is just impossible for me because college started and I have so many things to get done, I just need a laptop.

So finally, please, if you have any idea how to fix this, do share it with me, because I know absolutely nothing about laptops and could use any help I could get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

Who is the laptop manufacture? How many beeps is it? i.e. 1 long 2 short etc.

These beeps are usually referred to as 'beep codes' the OEM has these in place to basically tell you whats wrong. Depending on what the 'beep code' is you can fix it your self or determine if we have to send it in. 

Edited by TyronSmiteApril, 19 November 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#3 idontknowwhatimdoing

idontknowwhatimdoing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

The laptop's manufacturer is Acer, more precisely my laptop is Acer Aspire ES 15.
Well, honestly, I didn't really pay attention to the pattern of the beeps, but I think it's just one beep repeating itself, I don't think it has a particular pattern. I will definitely pay more attention to it the next time I hear it in case I missed it, but I'm pretty sure it's just one beep.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

The beep code is a very good clue as to what is going on, for this reason we need to know if this is a single long beep or one short beep.  If it is more than one beep (say two beeps) it would go beep beep, and then a space and then repeat.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy-v131.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 idontknowwhatimdoing

idontknowwhatimdoing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GMhLcX0MtIoo7dWOcPUeSc7

Okay, so this is the speccy link, and I payed more attention when the beeping started and it was three beeps repeating themselves. Hopefully that's not too bad.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

According to Insyde three beeps indicates bad memory.  Since you only have the one RAM I would suggest that you run Memtest86 to see if there is a problem with this module.

1)  Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2)  Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Instructions for using the 7-Zip can be see in the video below.

4)  Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

5)  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

6)  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

7)  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

8)  You will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

9)  A green progress bar will appear, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

10)  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

11) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be necessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display will appear, note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

4GB of RAM with Windows 10 will work, but it would run a lot faster with another 4GB.  There is another reason why you would appreciate adding another 4GB, if you purchase and install a matched module to the original module you can run this computer in dual channel.  This basically doubles the throughput speed of the RAM which makes this run appreciably faster.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users