Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know where to search for art that you don't know the name of?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

There are a few pieces of art that I have seen. I don't know the name of them. They are paintings. Anyone know how I may find these? I had trouble using google, as when I looked it up with a bunch of keywords nothing even related showed up.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Only a couple of not-too-focused suggestions.

One is find a forum (online) about that kind of art, and describe what you are looking for as well as you can and ask where it is or where it can be found.  Someone might be able to identify it.

Do you already know the name or title of what you trying to find?  Maybe who created or drew or painted it?  Try an Internet search based on what you know.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Not without more information than that to narrow down the scope of the search.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

There are a few pieces of art that I have seen. I don't know the name of them. They are paintings. Anyone know how I may find these? I had trouble using google, as when I looked it up with a bunch of keywords nothing even related showed up.

Where did you see them?  How did you see them?  If through a broadcast, maybe you should try to contact the publisher and tell them the episode on which you saw the paintings and ask them to identify the paintings and where are they stored, kept, archived.  What was the nationality of the artists-painters?  If you already know this, it may be helpful in finding the names and locations of those paintings.  

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Ditto cafejose's advice.
Some info that may/may not help:
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-track-down-a-work-of-art-I-once-saw
As a personal example: we have a painting from a deceased artist whose signature is so stylized as to be illegible, and I've used Google images with descriptions including subject matter (jazz music/comical character) medium/style (watercolor with slight wash effect) area depiction (New Orleans) and description (drummer sleeping on a couch with glass of wine) to see if there's anything recognizable which would reveal the name.  Even with that effort, no success thus far.
Unfortunately the person who gave it to us, also from New Orleans, is also deceased.
Unlike your dilemma, we could post a photo on a site or take it to an art appraiser and possibly nail it down.  
I certainly hope you eventually recognize something somewhere for a clue as your post indicates an appreciation of art. Believe me, I've seen stuff in the past that falls under today's phrase coulda-woulda-shoulda. :)

Edited by r.a.d., 19 November 2017 - 01:03 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree of climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

r.a.d.,

If you have the painting, or a picture of the painting (which is what you'll need, anyway), then you could try TinEye reverse image search.  If the work has ever been discussed anywhere online with an image of it TinEye can lead you to it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

britechguy, site is bookmarked, many thanks. Unfortunately it greeted me with 'your device does not support file uploads', not surprising with a 1st. Gen. iPad, soon to change. :)
'If you have the painting...'
It hangs in our foyer, looks cool there & catches the eye of guests.

Edited by r.a.d., 19 November 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

r.a.d.,

You're quite welcome.  TinEye has come in handy for me on more than one occasion.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

Google images can also do a reverse image search if you do an upload.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

rp88, it doesn't seem the OP has anything tangible other than the memory of the art. If they could describe their recollection of said art here (main reason why I illustrated details of my own search) perhaps we could add some help to their endeavor. I'd give it a try anyway, at least to see if similar work is on the 'net. Chances however are probably slim to none.

A question popped in my head: if TinEye and other reverse image search engines can match something uploaded if it resides elsewhere in cyber space, I wonder if it also displays others quite similar? 

While typing, thoughts here are probably not, as that would require fuzzy logic/artificial intelligence beyond today. But being a bit behind today's technology, might be wrong, often been, much to my own chagrin.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

r.a.d.,

Yes, TinEye displays similar results.   Try using any celebrity's face shot in TinEye and you'll see the multitude of matches that come back.  It's not a "perfect match alone" engine, as the differences between photographs of "the same thing" would cause a lot of false "there's nothing out there" findings.

I also just tried it with a small, and partial, image of the Mona Lisa.  There are over 68K results returned.

Edited by britechguy, 21 November 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#12 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

britechguy, good to know, as it (in my own case above) could show similarities leading to the artist's name. Thanks yet again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users