Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable hard drive turns off after five seconds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Intel Core i5-7400 3 ghz

GeForce GTX 970

8 Gigs Ram

ASUS H110M-A/M.2

Windows 8.1 x64

SATA 3.0 6Gbps 500 Gig Portable hard drive turns off after five seconds

This is the second one I have owned that started doing this!

I have followed many steps on various sites, even going as far as turning off shut down for every USB port

in the registry and uninstalling / reinstalling the USB 3.0 hub drivers in device manager

Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue yet?

I've narrowed it down to either the other USB devices (game pads, wireless mouse / keyboard, printer, etc) consuming so much power

there's not enough left to power a larger device like a portable so there is a safety mechanism forcing shutdown

or

NET Authority and pals are reaching in disabling the device to encourage use of cloud storage where Big Brother can thoroughly go through what I'm trying to back up and deleting what they feel I shouldn't have.

Note I haven't pulled all my other USB items out; trying the portable by itself as my Logitech gamepads are a BIG pain in the *** to reinstall properly again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

Ok, so I made some progress...fortunately we had the broken couch moved out from behind my computer desk Lazy Boy

I was able to take my feeble forty-four year old self and shove the chair back then snap, crackle and pop stuffing fat old self under my computer desk

with my beer gut up against my bottom lip like it was wearing a nineteen sixties push-up bra

Apparently I only have two friggin' USB 3.0 ports...the rest are all ports for USB half wits

So plugging the 3.0 portable into a 3.0 socket didn't solve the problem

But, as serendipity would have it I accidentally killed explorer and control panel messing around back there

IOBit instantly knew both were missing and fixed 'em in a jiffy

I said 'Gee...that IOBit has been my best friend these past ten years...I don't trust it's driver updater software but I do wonder what it would find

if I ran it...'

So I added the driver expansion, ran it and found that my ATAPI drivers were 'Extremely Old'

So now that I'm plugged into the right place with updated drivers the real culprit reveals itself!

The stupid dongle for my wireless mouse and keyboard - a Logitech or MS (forget) dongle miraculously operating a mouse/keyboard combo from the two different companies

This time when I stuck in my portable my mouse went **** and could only regain full control once I yanked the portable back out again.

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried plugging the external into another computer to see if the drive itself is actually any good?

Hard drives are the most common part to fail in a computer, and externals have higher failure rates than internal drives do.

#4 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, I did - Windows 8.1 fubarred it

I tried two 500 GB drives from Alibaba and wrote them off as refurbished Hong Kong crap

but now I've got a 64GB flash drive from a local computer shop and Windows is trying to corrupt that!

I had to format the flash drive to NFTS because Windows was not letting me copy over large files into Fat32

But I've had a directory corrupt on it twice; fortunately salvaged by disk check both times

I think the bottom line is simply that Windows is piss poor at managing USB storage devices larger than 32 GBs

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#5 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Figured I would come back and add the solution in case anyone else is having issues getting an Windows OS to accept portable or Flash drives larger than 32 GB

Windows is forcing a USB driver from 2006 for drives which don't come with signed drivers

The solution was to turn off Driver Signing verification in Windows

As extra measure I found it helpful to also go off-line, disabling router connection and flushing IP as well running CCleaner every time

you need to move files back and forth from said drives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users