Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10, V1709 - USB 2.0 Ports keep "vanishing" in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Hello All,

I am not sure whether this is a Windows Issue or not, it could be driver related, but I am leaning against that.

I have just purchased two laptops that are the same in every respect except the color of their cases.  Here is the Speccy system snapshot.

I am having a peculiar problem with the SD card reader and the USB 2.0 ports:  if the computer sleeps (at least for any period of time) these devices "vanish" from Device Manager.  If I open Device Manager and hit the "Scan for hardware changes" button they always come back upon completion of the scan.  I think the same is happening for Bluetooth as well, but I haven't needed to use it enough yet to be certain of that.  It seems to me that the Bluetooth device icon shows up again during the hardware scan, but I'm not 100% positive.

I seem to recall, in multiple versions of Windows, that certain devices can go through this "vanishing act" either secondary to sleep settings or power settings, but not at the "top level" for either.

If any of this seems familiar to anyone, would you kindly point me to the system settings I need to change to rid myself of this vanishing act?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Is it a sleep setting in the BIOS? or, in the manual sleep settings there is a USB setting buried in there. I can't look it up as I'm in a motel room on my phone but I'm sure you know what I mean.
In
I take that last part back...😀

https://jonathanesmith.blogspot.com/2015/12/windows-10-usb-selective-suspend.html?m=1

Edited by xrobwx, 18 November 2017 - 10:58 PM.

7581204627.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:16 PM

xrobwx,

Thanks for the pointer.

This was one of the things I had been remembering as well as tweaks you can make in Device Manager in the Properties dialog:

Attached File  USB_Hub_Properties_Dialog_Dev_Mgr.jpg   31.3KB   0 downloads

I'll bet tweaking at either location changes the same registry key (or at least some of the same ones, since the Device Manager Properties don't differentiate between on battery power versus plugged in).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

Hi Brian,

"I'll bet tweaking at either location changes the same registry key (or at least some of the same ones, since the Device Manager Properties don't differentiate between on battery power versus plugged in)."

The USB selective suspend is controlled through:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

Whereas Device manager devices are found in:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\

Not all devices have a plug n' play option USB being one of them.

Power plan advanced settings gives you the option to enable or disable suspend on both battery and power, it will do no harm to disable this, however I do not think this is the cause, I would first try an update of the chipset drivers.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

jenae,

I've already looked at the HP website and there do not appear to be any updates other than for the Realtek Card Reader, which I do intend to download and apply.  My internet service slowed to an absolute crawl last night but appears to be back to the land of the living this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users