Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MiniTool Partition Wizard - To the rescue for drive cloning (copying)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

After trying both Macrium and EaseUS clone functions in an effort to get a copy of my failing HDD, and having neither succeed, I decided to give one more tool a try:  MiniTool Partition Wizard.

I hadn't even thought of this utility for this purpose, but was firing it up in anticipation of needing to resize the partition on the replacement drive after it had been cloned.

Well, they have a disk copy (clone) function that not only clones, but if you're cloning to a target drive larger than the source drive it will automatically resize the Windows partition to allocate all the additional space on the target drive.   It worked perfectly.

I have just finished transplanting the drive copied/cloned into the laptop I'm currently typing on, and everything booted up without any major issue.  For some reason Google Drive Sync & Backup did not like the new drive, but after going into settings and setting it up again it's working fine, too.

Here's the new Speccy snapshot for my system with its new 1TB SSHD.  It wasn't even as miserable to tear down to get to the HDD for replacement as I had been recalling.  Of course, everything's easier the second time around.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

+1 Been using Minitool for years to do Clones , eg HDD > SSD.

Most other programs work but also sometimes have issues or fail , i tried Samsung Clone Software on my New EVO 500G SSD and it failed twice , tried Acronis and it failed to ? ....Loaded up Minitool to format drive and also found the Copy Drive function { Clone } - better if it was stated as "Clone Drive" more would probably now about it and use it.

I posted this 2 yrs ago and others , https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558598/cloning-an-entire-drive/#entry3557459

in its success rate and how quick it does it , and regardless of any drive sizes.

But !...... if your not an Expert within these Forums or credible , do people not take notice of info provided to make their life easier.

Piriform has always been my No 1 goto for Software , Safe / Reliable / and just works. 

Something in the back of my Mind recalled about Piriform and Minitool /  Maybe - Brain Fade / Busy Day......happens when working on 3 PCs at once ......oh - well ....SH....

Edited by Havachat, 19 November 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

BriTechGuy, you were using MiniTool Partition Magic version 9, correct?

Havachat, partitionwizard.com and minitool.com -- they are a part of Piriform now?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,848 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Roland,

MiniTool may be a subsidiary of Piriform, but MiniTool has its own website and another for Partition Wizard itself.  I certainly don't think of it as a Piriform product.

I used free version 10.2 downloaded from https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Just out of curiosity...re: Macrium; did you try to create an image (instead of clone), restore it to the new drive, and then use the Windows Disk Management to expand the partition to full capacity?  This info is just for my benefit, because I have done this several times with no problems. However, I see that you are using an SSHD, not a HDD or SSD. Might be a bug in Macrium (?). I have never used the clone feature so I don't have a clue.

I regularly recommend Macrium in my posts when appropriate, but if there is a weakness somewhere I would like to know about it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 November 2017 - 10:16 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ranchhand_,

Although I'd love to be able to make a definitive statement on Macrium and EaseUS with regard to their cloning features I simply cannot.  All I can tell you is that they did not work.  I can also say it appeared to me, in both cases, to be related to my original hard drive in the process (very slow) of failing and how they attempted to access the data for cloning.   Both ended up in periods of "sit and spin" trying to get something off of the original drive and finally "threw up their hands."

The same was not true of MiniTool Partition Wizard's disk copy (that's what they call it, though the description makes it abundantly clear it's a clone [probably with bad sectors omitted]) did not do this.   I was amazed that it completed the job in less time, total, than either Macrium or EaseUS cloning functions took before failing.

It certainly makes me lean toward MiniTool for cloning.

I had made a base full backup with two subsequent incremental backups with EaseUS, but did not attempt the "restore and expand" method.  I am particularly glad that I didn't do that as MiniTool has a clone and expand with the clone function built in as its default.  You can, of course, tell it not to do the automatic expansion and/or to expand multiple partitions.  It favors expanding the Windows partition, which makes perfect sense as a default.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,179 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

If I can remember correctly, a certain amount of hard bad sectors would cause a clone to fail but that may have not been your problem.

Version 10 of Minitools no longer provides for a boot disk unless one purchases the program. The boot disk is now based on Windows PE. The bootable version of 9.1, based on linux, is still available.

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Bootable-CD,0301-51034.html

Minitools is not part of Piriform. Piriform was recently acquired by avast which is looking at going public. Heaven forbid if avast purchased Minitools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users