Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I UN-DO the new Firefox Update that has made Windows 8.1 Laptop unusable

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

I'm thinking now I should have posted this in Web Browsing is there someone who can move it?  I just visited there and there is another topic about the new Firefox but I didn't see anyone with a computer so screwed as mine.

I've been comfortable on my computer and online for over a decade but with the new FIREFOX I feel totally lost as though its my first time to use a computer.

Currently I AM TOTALLY SCREWED and TICKED OFF.    STUPIDLY I installed the NEW FIREFOX update to my computer and it has made my computer so screwed up it is unusable even if I use Windows Internet Explorer.

I don't know everything its done but for starters I can't read my hotmail email.   It doesn't open.

I cannot type anything, my keyboard is nonresponsive.

It says I have an AdBlocker that is interfering with the AP that is part of the NEW FIREFOX so I can't COPY any text.

This is just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure there is more wrong aka screwed-up its just since I can't "intereact" I don't know yet.

GMAIL I CAN READ, it still opens but even it is changed even with Internet Explorer.

I can't type anything into OUTLOOK SITE HELP because my keyboard doesn't work  in Hotmail - it works in GMail but still the functions are totally screwed up.  LIKE cut and paste - No longer can I copy or cut part of an earlier email, it sees the whole thing / email as one whole thing to be copied or not.

WHAT KIND OF INTERNET BROWSER "UPDATE" takes over everything on a computer.   Firefox has changed how everything works.    Is this some kind of APRIL FOOLS HOAX IN NOVEMBER or malware?

How do I access the RESTORE TO AN EARLIER DATE function?

Outlook / Hotmail which I can't read - it just puts a checkmark as "accessed"  SILLY ME - I like to be able to actually READ my email.

HELP PLEASE.  The only way I'm able to do anything online is because thankfully I have my APPLE Desktop.

I DIDN'T GIVE FIREFOX THE RIGHT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING ON MY COMPUTER including other programs  - this is OUTRAGEOUS.

Edited by JayJax, 18 November 2017 - 05:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sorry - tmi - what's your question? Do you want to revert to the previous version of Firefox? If so, download it from the link below and install it:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0/

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Your best option right now is to download firefox ESR. make sure to backup all your bookmarks from firefox first, and jot down a list of add-ons you'll need to reinstall afterwards. Then download the exe file for firefox ESR, uninstall firefox 57 quantum, delete old firefox folders (it's easier and cleaner to start afresh with firefox ESr then to just import bookmarks and redo settings and add-ons manually), restart the PC, run the installer for firefox ESR, redo your firefox settings once in ESR (don't try to import settings when initially installing, all firefox versions older than 55 (ESR is 52 based) store settings in a way that older firefox versions can't import without risk of bugs), then import your old bookmarks again, and go to the relevant websites to download your add-ons again. This Is what I've done and I'll keep with ESR until noscript is ready for firefox 57.

EDIT: P.S. install google chrome or the open source chromium as a third browser. Atleast this way you'll not have to touch IE while firefox is out of action.

Edited by rp88, 18 November 2017 - 06:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Sorry JayJax but I think you have a bad install of FF57 - uninstall it and re-install.

It certainly hasn't affected my mail accounts nor have I had any error messages about Adblock, which I use, and my keyboard and mouse are still working. And it is the same on all the computers I have looked at today - my desktop, Win 7, my wife's laptop, Win 8.1 and my dual booting laptop - Win 8.1 and Mint 18.2.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

Sorry - tmi - what's your question? Do you want to revert to the previous version of Firefox? If so, download it from the link below and install it:

I'LL TRY to access this link from my Laptop so I can install it but it all depends on getting some function going enough to do so.  

Thanks.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

Your best option right now is to download firefox ESR. make sure to backup all your bookmarks from firefox first, and jot down a list of add-ons you'll need to reinstall afterwards. Then download the exe file for firefox ESR, uninstall firefox 57 quantum, delete old firefox folders (it's easier and cleaner to start afresh with firefox ESr then to just import bookmarks and redo settings and add-ons manually), restart the PC, run the installer for firefox ESR, redo your firefox settings once in ESR (don't try to import settings when initially installing, all firefox versions older than 55 (ESR is 52 based) store settings in a way that older firefox versions can't import without risk of bugs), then import your old bookmarks again, and go to the relevant websites to download your add-ons again. This Is what I've done and I'll keep with ESR until noscript is ready for firefox 57.

EDIT: P.S. install google chrome or the open source chromium as a third browser. Atleast this way you'll not have to touch IE while firefox is out of action.

I'll have to get back on my laptop and see if I can make this happen.   I wonder since like I said my keyboard doesn't function as it should.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Sorry JayJax but I think you have a bad install of FF57 - uninstall it and re-install.

It certainly hasn't affected my mail accounts nor have I had any error messages about Adblock, which I use, and my keyboard and mouse are still working. And it is the same on all the computers I have looked at today - my desktop, Win 7, my wife's laptop, Win 8.1 and my dual booting laptop - Win 8.1 and Mint 18.2.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks I'm going to get back on my laptop and see if I can make this happen.   it was early this morning when all this happened and it frankly blew my mind and put me out of whack too.  

Wish me luck, this is just mind blowing really how a browser update affects my entire system seemingly.

I'll update the results as to my success OR NOT!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

this is just mind blowing really how a browser update affects my entire system seemingly.

Since what you've been experiencing shouldn't be particularly relevant to a browser installation, I suspect it might be more to do with a co-incident Windows update. This month's updates do seem to have broken things, including keyboard functionality, as someone was telling me earlier today. And further I've just arrived home from restoring last month's image back onto a computer that was having its first usage after doing Windows updates, but rebooted into a black screen. Restoring back before Windows updates (but still has FF57), returned to normal operation.

Edited by Platypus, 18 November 2017 - 11:21 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

STILL WORKING on all these suggestions.

I downloaded two different previous versions using your link and both were in a foreign language I didn't recognize.   

Is there a way to determine which are English versions?   Hopefully I'll get a good enough version of Firefox so that I have access to all my passwords stored there.   Passwords stored on my Apple are sometimes not up to date.   

THANKS.

Edited by JayJax, 19 November 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

this is just mind blowing really how a browser update affects my entire system seemingly.

Since what you've been experiencing shouldn't be particularly relevant to a browser installation, I suspect it might be more to do with a co-incident Windows update. This month's updates do seem to have broken things, including keyboard functionality, as someone was telling me earlier today. And further I've just arrived home from restoring last month's image back onto a computer that was having its first usage after doing Windows updates, but rebooted into a black screen. Restoring back before Windows updates (but still has FF57), returned to normal operation.

YOU KNOW, I think you are correct thank you for your astute observation.   I had forgotten that I also had an update from either Microsoft or Dell and it must have installed as well and flumoxed the whole thing.  I used to be very quick installing updates but more than once the update has been problematic so I procrastinate sometimes as I did with the other update.

I have uninstalled Firefox and installed Chrome which doesn't have everything as I'm used to so I'm fumbling.   Hopefully I will get things in order shortly with the previous version of Firefox.   We shall see - anyone I think you are right on target though I'm not smart enough to figure it all out, what you say seems to align with what happened.  THANKS MUCH.

Edited by JayJax, 19 November 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

Sorry - can't seem to erase this duplicate entry of mine.

Edited by JayJax, 19 November 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

Took your advice and downloaded Firefox ESR however having done so it now asks me what "app" I want to use .  Used to be that choosing to open/run a file was all you had to do.

Care to give a clue to someone who doesn't use "apps" since I have a regular old cell phone that just makes phone calls and nothing else? 

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

THIS HAS TURNED INTO QUITE AN ONGOING DISASTER.

But I have finally gotten a download of Firefox 56 - now back to my computer to see if it functions properly.   Chrome browser is unfamiliar and I can't seem to do what I want, passwords not stored and sometimes sites won't load properly.

It will take me awhile to figure out if things are working again because this download seems to have left random bugs behind.

I SO REGRET allowing the download / update that started all this.  :ranting:

I appreciate the help I'm just frustrated now with trying to set things back to a semblance of normal.

Edited by JayJax, 20 November 2017 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users