Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't recognize new battery and/or is not charging it

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stratovani

stratovani

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

About two weeks ago my wife's laptop, a 2015 Lenovo Ideapad 100-151BD running Windows 10 wouldn't turn on at all. So by process of elimination I tried a few things. First, the power supply. I went and bought an aftermarket power supply at Walmart, but that did nothing, so the next thing was the battery. I went to a place called Laptop Battery Express and bought a new replacement battery and installed it. That took care of the problem of the computer not turning on. The new problem is that the computer will not work unless the power supply is plugged in. Either the computer is not recognizing the new battery and/or (more likely) the battery is not charging. I checked the battery section in the settings and there's nothing there to indicate a solution. I'm not terribly knowledgeable in Windows 10 so I'm at an impasse. Can anybody here help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

aftermarket power supplies are not the same and don't handle 2 way communications.   so it still could be the power supply.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

Page 9 of the users manual describes what the colors and blink rates of your charging light mean.
What is the charging light doing?
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_100_15_ibd_ug_en_201602.pdf
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

What is the make and model of the replacement power adapter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

It's not the power supply. I brought the replacement power supply back and got my money back, and my wife's computer is now running fine on the original power supply. The battery indicator light is not lit, and in the taskbar it says that there is no battery detected. I'm sure I installed the new battery correctly, and the proof is that the computer runs fine with the new battery installed. It's just that it's not detecting the battery and therefore is not charging it. Is there a software setting I need to go to in order to make it work? Or maybe some other solution?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Did you purchase the same battery make and model that was originally installed?

Did the battery match the voltage and amperage figure on the power adapter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Unbeknownst to you, that battery has it's own computer and one of the things it does is to tell the power management controller in the laptop exactly what it is. Almost all of the third party replacement batteries will become "unidentified" because the folks that wrote the BIOS for the laptop check to see that it is a "genuine Lenovo" yada yada and that model number must be on the list of acceptable spares. You really must look at the service manual or the users manual and get one of the VALID replacement battery part numbers or this is exactly what happens all too often.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users