Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gbadger

gbadger

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

:thumbsup: hi all
i hope someone can give me a few pointers
my computer runs perfectly fine running any programs
i am using win xp amd 3k proc 1 gig ram
except when:
if i am using nero or divx2dvd
i load my files into any of the above programs to convert to dvd
within 10 minutes the whole computer shuts down
its just like someone has hit the power button
i am assuming it is probably a driver fault but where do i start to find the problem.
any help would be great as this is doin my head in.
many thanx
badger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

Is the Nero and divx2dvd retail version software or did it come with a CD-DVD burner you bought, or is it software you borrowed from someone else who bought a different burner?

In many cases the software that comes with specific burners is specific to that burner and proprietal, and will cause problems when installed and then tried to use with another burner.

Look in your device manager and see if you see any yellow or red warning icons in any of the sections, especially but not limited to optical devices.

If you do, uninstall those devices, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall them.

If you do have such warnings:
You may want to look up and download the latest drivers for these devices from either your computer manufacturer's support site or the cd-dvd burner manufacturer and save them to a place where you can easily find them so you can navigate to them when it comes time to install the driver.

#3 gbadger

gbadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:03 AM

many thanx for your help
i have looked in my devices
i have a yellow question mark in
other devices..raid controller
would this have anything to do with it.
the software nero and divx2dvd i actually borrowed from my friend.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

Well, the raid controller would cause problems if you have a raid array set up and you should resolve that. I don't know that it would be connected with the dvd problem athhough it might as it could be a reason for the ten minute delay.

Look at the documentation that came with the raid controller or motherboard if it was part of the mb.

The borrowed software probably is a problem though unless it was retail version software and not proprietal to a specific burner which in the case of it being retail would be improper anyway. It would be software piracy.

Nero and especially InCd have been problematic with XP. Look at Nero support and see if thay have a patch available for your version.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 September 2006 - 07:15 AM.

#5 gbadger

gbadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

thanx very much for your help and support.
i will uninstall the nero to start with and put back a slightly older version which i brought from p.c world the only reason i borrowed it was because it was a newer version i should have just kept updating my version which is what i will do now.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

Let us know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users