Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Monitor Problems with GTX 1080

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sp4rk2

sp4rk2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hi, 

I've recently been having some issues with my GTX 1080. I have just bought 3 ultra-wide monitors (2560x1080) which I would like to connect to my PC.

The Problem

With a single monitor, everything works fine, however when I add an additional monitor, one of two things happen:

Case 1:
The second monitor turns on in 1920x1080 with some scaling issues. When I change the resolution of the monitor, it renders in 2560x1080 for a few seconds, and then begins to glitch out. By glitch out, I mean the monitor will turn a solid grey colour and will begin to flash.

Case 2:
The second monitor turns on, however both then become unresponsive like the PC has frozen. Forcing me to hold the power button to turn off the PC.

If I start the PC with 2 or more monitors connected, after the boot screen, all monitors become unresponsive and sometimes are a solid grey colour.

If I try to disconnect a monitor when case 1 or 2 happens, the PC remains unresponsive.

What have I tried?
  • Reinstalled the NVIDIA graphics driver.
  • Reinstalled Windows 10, however these problems initially occurred on a fresh Windows.
  • Used older NVIDIA drivers. (Using driver remover tools before installing the new one).
  • Performed all Windows 10 updates.
  • Swapped cables, monitor order, GPU IO order etc.
  • Booted into a live Ubuntu 17.10 installation to check if all 3 monitors worked there. (They do)
  • Contacted NVIDIA support. They asked to perform the things I had already tried and eventually told me they were upgrading my case to a L2 support technician, where I've yet to be contacted (2 weeks ago).

Information
  • Graphics Card - GTX 1080 EVGA
  • CPU - AMD FX 8350
  • RAM - 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence
  • PSU - 1000W RM1000x Corsair
  • SSD - 120GB Samsung SSD
  • Hard Drive - 1TB WD
  • Operating System - Windows 10
  • Monitors - LG 25UM58-P: 25 Inch Class 21:9 UltraWide Monitor
  • Cable1 - HDMI to HDMI
  • Cable2 - Display Port (GPU IO) to HDMI (Monitor)
  • Cable3 - Display Port (GPU IO) to HDMI (Monitor)

If there is anyone that could give me some guidance on what I can try then that would great.

Also, if this has been posted in the wrong section, apologies.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

It is possible that the monitors are interfering with each other and maybe some sort of power up sequence might solve the errors.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

sp4rk2, :welcome:  to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Thanks for choosing us to assist with your issue, which looks to me to be an OS issue or setting, rather than hardware one, based on your one statement above.

• Booted into a live Ubuntu 17.10 installation to check if all 3 monitors worked there. (They do)

While I haven't got into multi monitor setups yet, have the hardware (EVGA GTX 1070 & two 1060's), intend on doing so at some point. I do find it odd that Ubuntu 17.10 (although in Live Mode) can get the job done, yet can't when running Windows 10. I've found W10 to be more 'over my head' than some has, am fortunate just to have a single 4K monitor running on my main PC, the one with GTX 1070. 

There has to be some adjustment in PC Settings (not Control Panel) that can help. The closest one I found was 'Rearranging multiple displays' (type it in the search box). 

May not be the case, as I also have a PC with the same CPU as yours (FX-8350), while a powerful one, there's a chance that it could be the bottleneck of your obviously more powerful GTX 1080. Note that I stated a chance, not a certainty. Do you have any other computer to try this out on to rule out the CPU as the culprit? Many modern notebooks can push dual displays (actually three if the onboard is included). 

One other thing, is the one Displayport cable itself, must be 3 meters (roughly 6.6 feet) or less & for best quality must have the DP logo (or DP++) on the cable ends. Knockoff cables can produce unpredictable results, I learned this lesson long ago with my first monitor with a DP connection, ordered a 10 feet cable of the Nippon brand from Newegg in late 2013. Monitor wasn't up to what other customers rankings, then read the reviews again more carefully & one recommended to use an Accell brand cable (can't find the model now, probably because it was rated for DP 1.2). That's one of the important basics of DP, making sure not to purchase cables with the logo, to be honest, found it quite surprising when my 4K Samsung UE510 arrived, the DP cable didn't have the logo, so used mine instead, by then had purchased another on eBay. Here's the Accell site that shows some multi monitor accessories. 

https://www.accellcables.com/

Finally, the adapter to convert DP to HDMI, should be an active one, especially with two monitors with long cables, or have an active DP to HDMI cable for each. I now use the higher speed HDMI cables (the full 6Gbps/channel or total of 18Gbps) rather than the standard ones of around 11 Gbps for everything, other than testbeds. These are available at Monoprice at a low cost, the main difference that can be seen is packaging at first (Premium rather than silver or Standard background on the package), yet there are speed increases & a couple other differences the Standard didn't have. Here's the ones I last purchased, which are rated for higher speeds over the standard version, simply choose the desired length. these are very affordable & high quality HDMI cables, more so than the Standard ones now back in the original packaging & you'll see that between 3, 6 & 10 feet cables, little price difference, 10x less than brick & mortar stores. Much better than Amazon Basics cables, I had one of those to literally come apart at the end on one monitor, used for a folding@home setup. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2

Displayport is indeed a superior connection over HDMI in many ways, to include faster bandwidth, yet when going with two or more monitors, everything must be right to achieve the desired result. I'm still puzzled by the fact that you're able to accomplish this with a Live Ubuntu 17.10 session & won't do the same with Windows, it has to be something minor, Windows 10 has lots more settings than previous versions (Windows 8.1 & prior). Back then, everything was handled via the Control Panel, now one must use PC Settings for some operations, to include Windows Update. 

Would had been great for both monitors to have a native DP connection to simplify things, most of the GTX 10 series cards has three DP 1.4 outputs, in that case, HDMI wouldn't be a factor. Maybe something to consider in your next display purchase, both of my last new ones has one DP connection (although the first is crippled by a DP 1.1 port :(), I wasn't aware of the difference then, a $300 lesson. Made sure that the 4K one had DP 1.2, plus a full bandwidth HDMI (I believe 2.0), although the second is 1.4, typical for many models released in 2015.

Keep on pounding, you'll get this thing right, one way or the other. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I'm with cat1092 in thinking that your cables might be the issue.  I verified that the 1080 should be able to display on three 4K monitors without issue.  I prefer a straight monitor connection without any conversion as that can add an additional wrinkle to the problem.  Since that isn't an option I'd suggest picking up a couple of the cables that cat1092 linked.  I've purchased quite a bit from Monoprice and any issues I've had have been quickly resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users