Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyperlinks not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chembel

chembel

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

My sister's HP Laptop is running Windows 10 and had a major update yesterday. She has been using Firefox for a long time and had no issues with it. Yesterday, when we restarted her machine after the updates happened we accidentaly forced it down before the updates had completed operations. 

After we got back into her machine, her Firefox was unbelieveably slow. So we tried have done a complete removal of all of the Firefox files, including the Program Files (86) and the Local and Roaming Profiles for her user and then did a brand new install. Still no luck. 

So we decided to move her over to Edge as a default browser. That worked pretty well. But now she realizes that none of her hyperlinks are working. 

I tried the solution that was listed back in 2016 but it doesn't help because I tried to find the Registry Edit Key from my machine to copy over to hers, because my links are working but I can't find that key. I don't want to create anything on my machine because mine is working just fine.

I have attached the error that comes up whenever she clicks on a link. It doesn't matter what program she is in when she clicks on the link the same error comes up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

There is a good possibility that you may have damaged files when you aborted the installation.  I would suggest running sfc/ scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box, press the following keys together to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.

Shift, Ctrl, Enter

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to put this in my original post but that was one of the things I did prior to uninstalling the Firefox program. 

Actually, when I Googled System File Check for Windows 10, Microsoft support told me to open an Administrator Command Prompt and run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. That completed successfully and then the instructions said to run sfc /scannow as you had indicated. That completed with "No integrity violations found." 

So I thought we were good but the issue continues to be a problem. I think I am going to try to see if I can do a Restore to prior to the Update being installed. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Have you tried another browser?

Have you tried downloading Firefox again, uninstall the current installation and installed the newly downloaded installation?

Have you ever edited the registry on this computer or feel comfortable doing an edit?

Edited by dc3, 19 November 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Yes, we actually switched her over to Edge and it works better than Firefox but there are still problems with any hyperlinks in any documents that she tries to click on. Doesn't matter if it is a link in a PDF or Word document she gets the same error that I sent the snippit of. Even when she is in Outlook and she tries to click on someone's email address to start a new email she gets the same error.

I have exported the key as explained in Method 3 of this Microsoft support article from my computer, which is working just fine, I want to import it on her machine. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310049/hyperlinks-are-not-working-in-outlook

If that does not work, I think we are going to have to try to restore the computer to prior to the update install. There is a restore point from 2 days prior to the update that is giving us problems.

Thanks for your suggestions though. I appreciate the fact that you are telling me to try the things that I have tried already. It lets me know that my thought process was correct. Wish us luck!!!

Chris

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hi, the MS site you reference relates to problems with outlook (MS office) and usually occur when you use programs and features to remove IE11. They are universal settings so they could also effect other utils.

Normally (even in 10) hyperlinks are controlled by the urlmon.dll, press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box copy paste:-

regsvr32 urlmon.dll  (press enter) You should receive a success message. Restart computer (must be restart not shutdown), try links now.

If no joy we can make the registry mod's if needed, to make this perfectly safe we can query what the registry shows now (this only reads the registry it does not alter or add anything, so is perfectly safe).

On the problem machine, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated command prompt will open. I have written two cmds for you to run, I will highlight them for you in red. Copy each of these cmds (one at a time) and then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter. A notepad will open with registry details, do this for both cmds then copy paste the notepad outputs into your reply.

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command" > 0 & notepad 0

reg query "HKCR\.html" > 1 & notepad 1

#7 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

I am going to try the option you have here but last night we had some major problems. We had trouble with Windows 10 Recovering to an earlier recovery point. We had two options and we tried both but it said that it did not work. However, my sister did not shut down last night and when she woke her machine this morning, Windows Updater wanted to install updates. I am thinking that even though it said it had not worked it did push the updates back. So we ran the updates this morning and everything went all the way through successfully. 

The HTML links are still not working and I think you are right about it being one of the registry keys that got switched and that is what is causing the problem. I am going to have her machine a little later today and I am going to compare her Registry Editor Keys to my own. We are both running Windows 10 and I am hoping that I can see something different between the two machines. I may run your queries and send you the output prior to doing anything just to make sure 

I would just like to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Chris

#8 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Alright, I have done the first code through the run window and had success, but the links still did not work so I opened the Command Prompt run as Administrator and have the two notepad documents. I saved them with different names. Hope that was okay.

I have copied the text from the files and pasted them below:

First Notepad text:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command
    (Default)    REG_SZ    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1
    DelegateExecute    REG_SZ    {17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C}

Second Notepad text:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html
    (Default)    REG_SZ    FirefoxHTML
    Content Type    REG_SZ    text/html
    PerceivedType    REG_SZ    text
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\OpenWithProgids
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\PersistentHandler

I know a little bit about this and when I look at my machine's HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html, my default key is set to "htmlfile" with no quotes around it. I would guess that her machine is conflicting between Iexplore and Firefox. Can I change the key?

Chris

#9 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

My Windows 10 machine is working just fine and when I run these two commands this is what I get:

First Command Output:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command

(Default)    REG_SZ    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1
    DelegateExecute    REG_SZ    {17FE9752-0B5A-4665-84CD-569794602F5C}

Second Command Output:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html
    (Default)    REG_SZ    htmlfile
    Content Type    REG_SZ    text/html
    PerceivedType    REG_SZ    text
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\OpenWithList
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\OpenWithProgids
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\PersistentHandler

My Key has an extra line in it also. Can I export the ROOT key from my machine and import it into her Reg Editor. I would make a back up of her Reg Edit before I would attempt this but it seems like such a simple fix to me.

Chris

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

Hi, yes your machine has the correct settings, export them and transfer to flash drive and load onto the errant computer double click and allow to merge.Restart the computer. Or you could navigate to the keys and right click on the values select modify and change to what your machine has, whatever you feel comfortable with.

#11 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

Yay!!!!

It worked. I exported the key from my editor and imported it into hers, restarted the machine and it seems to be working just great!!!

Thank you so much for you patience with me and helping me.

Chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users