Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 port sometimes fails to work at all

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L850-1UJ laptop running windows 8.1 and sometimes linux mint too. The laptop has 3 USB ports, two of them together on the right (USB 3.0) and one on the left (USB 2.0). I hate trackpads so much I've turned mine off from in the BIOS/UEFI hence I use a USB mouse. I generally plug this mouse into the 2.0 port and leave it there across reboots, I don't move the laptop very often so needn't unplug usually.

The USB 2.0 port however has a problem, it happens occasionally and randomly, and recently it has happened again. It is very annoying and I thought it was time I try to get advice on fixing it.

The USB 2.0 port sometimes just refuses to work, the mouse plugged into it is not seen by the pc and must be moved to another port, any USB sticks inserted into it are also ignored. This si sometimes cured by a restart, and sometimes not. I don't think this is OS specific, I've seen it on windows and not on linux but I don't think that means it can't happen on linux just that it hasn't by chance happened when I've been on linux.

What diagnostic steps do I take? How can I fix this?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 18 November 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

I would try checking for a chipset driver update and try using Linux a bit longer to verify whether the issue is on the software or on the hardware side.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

How would I go about looking for a chipset driver? Would I head to the manufacturer's website after looking up the chipset using speccy or equivalent? But also this issue hasn't been there since the machine was brand new, it first occured after a few years had passed since I got the machine, so what could have changed to stop the old driver working?

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

have you physically checked the usb port to see if it is damaged?

look at it and see if the plastic is loose or broken, this is what retains the pins in the correct position.  they don't break very often but it can happen.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Will check it by eye when I turn this pc off later tonight.

#6 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

You should look on the manufacturer's website, yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users