Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web cam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

I used to use Chrome but there were known bugs. I liked voice to text.

​Now I have Cortana but the light stays on all the time unless I disable that app.

Is there way to have voice to text without the web cam on always?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryanjr61

Ryanjr61

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Good day, 

Do you have the lasted update for chrome? What computer are you using? also what version of Windows 10? Is all your software up to date? 

In the meant time you take back the Mic & cam rights for chrome like this :

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2693767?hl=en 

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

PDN,

Your post of 2:42 PM is empty.  There have been intermittent problems with this happening that have not been able to be traced to a root cause.  I always suggest that people do a CTRL+A (select all) followed by a CTRL+C (Copy) before hitting the "Post" button if they've been having this problem.

It never seems to occur if you edit an existing post, including a blank one.

Back to your problem, are you sure that your machine does not employ the same signal light for the microphone and/or webcam?   In order to use Cortana's personal digital assistant features the microphone is on at all times.  You could test out whether this is what's happening by going into the Privacy Settings, Microphone Pane, and flipping the toggle for Cortana to "OFF" to see if the light goes out.  If that doesn't work, you can always disable Cortana's access to the webcam itself by going to the same settings, but the Camera pane, and disabling Cortana there.  If the webcam light does not go out then, then some other app is accessing it.  Sequentially go through item by item disabling access until the light goes out then reenable anything you wish to have access to the cam.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

The problem is rectified as chrome fixed a glitch on their end an their are no detections; all runs well.

The problem now ,that was omitted when I submitted, I put in a nutshell then copied  and pasted. I cannot get onenote and OCR to work after many hours.

Usually I solve this type of issue but it has me thinking my system does not allow for it.

Edited by PDN, 20 November 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

You'd have to be more specific about both of these problems.

If asking about OneNote I'd suggest starting a thread on the Business Applications forum.

The OCR question probably belongs elsewhere, too, but it depends on exactly how and where the OCR you're trying to perform is controlled.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

I simply want to capture a ext document, and amend it by using OCR. I understand that OneNote has this feature but it has eluded me, as I stated.

Thank you, I will follow up as you suggest..

P.S. I forgot to cc/cv but the submission worked well this time.

Edited by PDN, 20 November 2017 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users