Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Uefi Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 UEFIguy

UEFIguy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hello, first off please forgive me, i have never used a PC forum. I would describe myself as beginner to intermediate in PC problems. Furthermore forgive me if i have dupe a thread, or used wrong category. I am doing this in sheer panic. i have spent 70 hours on my overall issue. I don't need to explain the earlier stages as this problems is self contained. 

It concerns UEFI. (Previously a windows 10 home edition but well past that.) I cannot get UEFI to boot, no keyboard command works, advanced startup (f8) all options there do not work. I cannot boot a Linux USB, i cannot boot a windows 10 USB ( i don't have a disc drive) powering off properly and restarting doesn't work. i am utterly locked out of my PC at the most basic level. Because of previously problems where my UEFIi stopped recognizing a drive i really needed it to recognize (other methods available to me were not at all easy to do) I decided after lack of sleep that i would try to force it to by goign into boot options in UEFI and disabling recognition of all the drives it could see.

This included my second HDD drive (the first being ssd) and also disabling recognition of my sandisk USB (where my windows 10 USB install was), i tried introducing a new USB with Linux, but at this point it just doesn't boot anything at all. I understand that you guys will want more info, (I have fast boot enabled for example) and will suggest some common help, but i stress i really have dug into the internet here. If people ask i can detail the backstory to this problem, but until this last decision to disable recognition of the drives, UEFI always worked properly (no other options changed) now the UEFI fails to load and cannot recognize any drive or USB media at all. All help appreciated, as i am now considering new motherboard. Thank you. I am wondering about introducing a new USB drive with windows 10 for USB install on it(this requires another purchases, and i have already spent about 90 pounds towards external devices on the wider problem before the UEFI issue) anyway thanks... I forgot to mention that in advanced startup (f8), (only thing that shows anything, other than the 'press f2 or del to enter uefi) it gives options for any drive both internal and connected via usb, including boot manager, but these all lead to blank screens. THANKS!

Edited by Al1000, 19 November 2017 - 09:44 AM.
moved from Win 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Couple of questions:

> Is this a desktop or laptop?

> From shutdown and startup, can you access the normal GUI BIOS screen?  From your explanation I am not clear.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hello Ranchhand_  thank you for speedy reply

1) this is a desktop

2) as i understand it, UEFI is the modern version of BIOS (with most UEFI firmware implementations providing legacy support forBIOS services. UEFI can support remote diagnostics and repair of computers, even with no operating system installed. ***i copied this from google***)  

to reiterate, i cannot get UEFI to work, details of which i have described...

Thank you for reply mate

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Ok...I know that about Secure Boot/UEFI....UEFI is not the entire BIOS but only a section of it. UEFI or Secure Boot is a feature added to the BIOS on most modern mainboards that (hopefully) will prevent virus infections on a low-level basis. What I want to know exactly is when you boot up from shutdown, and you tap the appropriate key, can you enter the normal BIOS screen, or not? Is the BIOS screen available or totally not available?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hello, thank you for patience i did not mean to sound patronizing,  it was for my own clarification. I have the option of entering uefi (bios) using f2 or del key, neither works, and it is blank after this. If i use f8 i can get to advanced options, where i can see whichever drive the pc can detect (it does not detect the ssd here either) however each option selected here also leads to blank screen. Is it possible to enter the main Bios even in this situation? There is no suggestion that i can enter the bios, and no key suggested other than the ones mentioned.

Thank you

Edited by UEFIguy, 18 November 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm assuming you can boot into Windows, correct? Can you access UEFI using the below method? You will need to disable SecureBoot in order to boot linux.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

What is the make and model of the computer or the MB if custom built?

#7 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS to reset the BIOS/UEFI?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545

#8 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Hello guys, in another forum somebody suggested philbo's fixx jsut prior, i am looking in my Asus manual, and i think this is a promising fix... will keep you updated. JohnC, i cannot boot to windows, i cannot even boot to uefi, windows has long since gone...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Clearing CMOS is a good start. I don't know what ASUS MB you have but some allow you to clear the CMOS using a jumper or button with the power off. With the CMOS battery and power cord removed hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Sometimes doing that will also help.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Ok...the BIOS screen is not available. Reset the BIOS/CMOS as follows:

Power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket. Press the power switch for 5 seconds (clears the capacitors). Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel.

Many computers also have a small jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot.

Now try to boot. Let me know the result.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#11 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hello thanks for reply, i am also following answers at cnet and we have been discussing this. i have replaced battery.. here is thread https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/uefi-boot-major-problem/#post-ad3da109-f0b9-44f9-8724-c1dbcf3f29d1

in short it did not work, and i might need to prepare a usb disk and use f8 to load new bios settings.

thank you very much, i have no more time tonight but will update with any fixes and tests...

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

Hi,

Are you using the on-board graphic card or an add-on card?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#13 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hello,

the ASUS Z170M-PLUS

the manual has a lot of options for affectin the bios, i will continue tomorrow and give updates.

Thanks guys

#14 UEFIguy

UEFIguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

Hello guys, thought i would let you know that i found a solution, i cant believe i didn't do this i was so engrossed in other methods. i physically removed my 2nd hdd and bios loaded again. Didn't need to remove the battery. Going to go ahead and update bios anyway, plus i previously backed up mt bios settings to usb so that is all good.

Thank you all for your help and time! 

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hello guys, thought i would let you know that i found a solution, i cant believe i didn't do this i was so engrossed in other methods. i physically removed my 2nd hdd and bios loaded again. Didn't need to remove the battery. Going to go ahead and update bios anyway, plus i previously backed up mt bios settings to usb so that is all good.

Thank you all for your help and time! 

When you say that you are going to update the BIOS, do you mean that you are going to flash the BIOS? This is a very difficult and complex procedure and it is not really recommended for the faint of heart. I have been working on computers for a few years and I am still very reluctant to update the BIOS.

Why do you think that you need to update the BIOS?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users