Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop cpu temps to hot? Should I re-paste?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brianm42

brianm42

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

I am wondering if my laptop CPU temps are normal, I recently bought a new laptop and re-pasted the cpu with arctic mx-4. I don't know to much about laptops. Here are the temps from idle and from 6 minutes of playing a game(Path of Exile) at 1080p. Room temp is probably around 15c-20c.

Idle:

https://imgur.com/Hop8v4E

6 minutes of playing poe:

https://imgur.com/vUwiaNt

I don't feel as these these are super high temps but my concern is I feel as I probably applied a little to much thermal paste, and also while I was downloading visual studio the max temps reached 95c but the average stayed around 75c(the room temp was probably around 25c at the time). So my question is should I worry about these temps and the fact that I may have applied to much thermal paste(3-4 small dots instead of 1 dot in the center) or should I re-paste it again with one a small dot in the center.  I just don't like to take apart stuff more than I need to so i'm not sure if its worth re-pasting again.

Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor 1.8GHz
16GB LPDRR3 RAM
512GB SATA M.2 Solid State Drive
Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 Graphics

Dimensions: 12.8" x 8.9" x 0.6"
Approximate Weight: 2.9lbs

I know its a thin laptop but I just feel as the temps may be to hot?

Thank you,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

I recently bought a new laptop and re-pasted the cpu with arctic mx-4.

Couple of questions:

> What is your reason for re-applying thermal grease to a brand new laptop?

> What were the running temps on the unit before re-applying new grease?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

I have no idea why one would ever mess with replacing the thermal paste on a brand new machine.  It's just asking for trouble.

The above having been said, you don't have any issue, and your own monitoring software is telling you that.  When the "Distance to TjMAX" is above 25° C when the minimum distance between the actual operating temperature and TjMAX has been reached, you are barely more than a bit more than warm.

This CPU is designed to function normally up to a temperature of 100° C (see: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7%20i7-8550U.html or download the spec sheet from Intel).   Your maxed out temperature after a "hard run" hasn't even reached 75° C.  You have nothing to be concerned about.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 brianm42

brianm42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

I recently bought a new laptop and re-pasted the cpu with arctic mx-4.

Couple of questions:

> What is your reason for re-applying thermal grease to a brand new laptop?

> What were the running temps on the unit before re-applying new grease?

My reasoning was to lower the temps as they were idling around 55c and reaching a max of 85c when playing a game or downloading/installing software. I also felt like the fan was running a lot during idle.

I feel as applying new paste has helped lower the temps overall but don't really know what temps I should be aiming for while at idle or under load.

I'm use to a liquid cooled desktop and have no idea on the temp range for a laptop. Also the max temps did hit 95c once and hit thermal throttling but is was only while downloading visual studio, I think this is the main thing that concerned me.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'm use to a liquid cooled desktop and have no idea on the temp range for a laptop

There is no comparison between the two. Laptops were designed for low-performance and easy portability. Desktops were designed for power and can be configured easily, with components that can be substituted, modified, etc. Along came the inevitable person who wanted a cramped, shrink-wrapped and miniaturized computer to perform like his desktop. No can do. Laps generally run hotter, and when a component fails it is a major project to attempt to replace a component, with maybe the exception of memory or hard drive.

If your computer is running perfectly, the old adage applies: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 eliasgusta

eliasgusta

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

your temps are fine. i don't think you applied too much paste

do a cpu stress test and check temps just to be 100% sure

#7 brianm42

brianm42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

I'm use to a liquid cooled desktop and have no idea on the temp range for a laptop

There is no comparison between the two. Laptops were designed for low-performance and easy portability. Desktops were designed for power and can be configured easily, with components that can be substituted, modified, etc. Along came the inevitable person who wanted a cramped, shrink-wrapped and miniaturized computer to perform like his desktop. No can do. Laps generally run hotter, and when a component fails it is a major project to attempt to replace a component, with maybe the exception of memory or hard drive.

If your computer is running perfectly, the old adage applies: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

I understand there is no comparison I just wanted to make sure that is wasn't running to hot as I was unsure how hot laptops are suppose to run.

your temps are fine. i don't think you applied too much paste

do a cpu stress test and check temps just to be 100% sure

Thank you, I ran a stress test. Here are the results for 20 minutes of Prime95 blend.

https://imgur.com/zia3Cx7

#8 eliasgusta

eliasgusta

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

very good. at 100% usage, you are well under TJ max (almost 30 degrees!)

usually anything around 15 degrees under TJ max is considered safe

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Yes, your temps are normal for a lap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users