Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

citrix-help me understand

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bolliz

bolliz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

So im at work. The printer dosent work.

I know my employeer uses a program called citrix, and that this is a virtual desktop thingie. I dont know much about these things, but I understand the principle.

So at the workstation im using I can log into a internal zone and a safe zone. As far as ive understood, these two desktops are really on a server...terminal server or something. So nothing is really stored on the machine im using.

But then I have another desktop on the machine im using, which is the normal windows c: station. This one has always been there, before the company started using citrix etc. From this desktop I access internal zone and the safe zone.

But the problem is that I cant access internet on the regular desktop, eventhough it says im online. Which again prevents me from updating the printer driver. Internal zone will let me access internet, but I cant transfer annything from the internal zone to the regular desktop.

So is there something I can do to work this out, so I dont have to contact the company IT guys and sound like a noob....which I secretly am...

Edited by bolliz, 18 November 2017 - 10:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

If this is a workstie setup...IMO, the organization IT department personnel should be the source you use as contacts about any lack of understanding you might have about how all this works.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

1....another desktop on the machine im using, which is the normal windows c: station. This one has always been there, before the company started using citrix etc. From this desktop I access internal zone and the safe zone.

2....I cant access internet on the regular desktop, eventhough it says im online. Which again prevents me from updating the printer driver. ...I cant transfer annything from the internal zone to the regular desktop

The reason that you cannot download/install from #2 is that the Sys Admin has removed those privileges from your system. That is to protect the company computers from viruses that can be unknowingly downloaded and installed by inexperienced users. One virus from one compromised computer can nuke an entire system, especially the feared Encryption infections that have plagued so many businesses. Notify your Administrator of what you want to do and he can do it for you safely. The reason that your IT dept. is running Citrix is safety for the entire network system.

#1...That computer probably has escaped the notice of your IT department; it would be wise to notify them of this. If you ever accidentally install a virus and if affects the network, the company (in theory) could hold you responsible.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users