Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting to my router via WiFi will connect to someone else's network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JR7692

JR7692

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi everyone,

I am having a crazy situation with my home network here in my apartment.  I recently purchased a Linksys EA9400 router and got it set up.  When I connect to my router using WiFi using my SSID and passphrase, I am basically redirected to another person's network, obtaining an IP address of 192.168.0.* and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.  When I connect via Ethernet cable, I am able to connect to my network with an IP address of 192.168.1.* and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

It says I am connected to my network using WiFi, but I know that I am on someone else's network because when I go to the default gateway it shows me an administration page for a TP Link Archer C7.  I am also seeing on my router's administration page that other devices that I do not own are connected to my network.  I am not sure what else to do here so I will describe my setup below and the things that I have tried.

ISP: Spectrum (TWC)

Modem: Arris TG1672 (set in Bridged mode with WiFi not enabled)

Router: Linksys EA9400

Steps that I have taken:

1. Rebooting modem and router.
  2. Checking for latest firmware.
  3. Factory resetting the router.
  4. Changing the network IP address from 192.168.1.* to 192.168.200.*.
  5. Changing the SSID and passphrase.
  6. Disabling SSID broadcasting.
  7. Changing the router IP address to 192.168.0.1 to match the other person's network.  This allowed me to override 192.168.0.* but I kept getting kicked off of the Internet.  When logged into my router, an error would pop up saying unable to authenticate TP Link Archer C7.  After clicking OK, when I went to 192.168.0.1 it would take me back to the administration page of the TP Link.
  8. I called Linksys technical support and they could not figure out what the issue was.
  9. Switching the router out with my old Netgear.  I was thinking the entire time it was the most likely the router since this just started happening when I was changing the routers but I was still having the same issues with the Netgear.
  10. I called Spectrum and they sent a signal to refresh my modem.  This did not work.

In the meantime I have MAC Filtering enabled and blocking many of the devices connecting to my network.  I feel like this is a huge security risk for both myself and my neighbor that I seem to be connecting to.  Any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Bleeping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

What happens if you enable SSID broadcasting?

Is it possible that the rogue network you're actually connecting to is something you've connected to in the past and is being remember by the device?  What happens if you "forget" the network after you've connected?

#3 JR7692

JR7692
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

The same result happens with SSID broadcasting enabled.  I only disabled it for troubleshooting.  The odd thing is that I just moved into this apartment so I've never connected to any of the networks that are here.  If I forget the network, I click on my network SSID, enter my WiFi password (which I have changed before), and for some reason get connected to my neighbor's network.  Spectrum is going to send a tech out to take a look at it so hopefully they can figure this out.  The person on the phone didn't seem to know what could be causing this.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

If, by coincidence, someone near to where you live is using an SSID and password that matches both on a remembered network, and that remembered network is before yours in the list to connect to, you will connect to it.

Where you open the list of remembered networks will vary depending on the version of Windows you're running.  Most people, over time, collect a lot of networks that they connected to only one time but that it is entirely possible to encounter again elsewhere and that may be either open or use the same password.  It's always a good idea to clean up your list of remembered networks every once in a while.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users