Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Backup And Transfer Software - Best...!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:27 AM

FILE BACKUP AND TRANSFER SOFTWARE - BEST...!!!

Hi everyone...!!!

WHICH IS THE BEST SOFTWARE (PREFERABLY FREEWARE) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR FILE BACK UP AND TRANSFER...??????? (NOT SYSTEM CLONING but only data/file backup and transfer)

Scenario:

I am having one Hard Disk of say 200 GB with three partitions 20 GB; 40GB; and 140 GB
Balance.

There is a huge amount of valuable data (only) of somehwhat say 70 GB on 3rd partition of 140 GB.

I want to move (transfer - not back up) this 70 GB of voluminous data from this 3rd
partition to another Hard disk of 160 GB where there is already data of 30 GB.

I dont want to do CUT - PASTE...(bcz long file names are not copied and if there is a
problem in copying at any stage the entire copying procedure stops in between and then its diffuclt to track in thousands of folders and files what has been copied and what not)

I cannot clone as in that case destination data of 30 GB will be lost...whereas my goal is
to add 70 GB of data from partition 3 of hard disk one to already existing 30 GB data of
hard disk 2...without destroying data in hard disk 2 (which would happen in cloning or
image recovery)

Request:

Can i request all OF U TO PLZ SUGGEST ME Some way / idea / software / trick/ mechanism so that i can freely move large amount of data - be it transfer or copying from one partition to another partition of same hard disk or another hard disk....???

WHICH IS THE BEST SOFTWARE (PREFERABLY FREEWARE) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR FILE BACK UP AND TRANSFER...??????? (NOT SYSTEM CLONING but only data/file backup and transfer)

I hope I have been able to explain my situation clearly and hence would urge plz plz to put forward valuable suggestions and replies....

Thanks and Best Regards

sunando ghosh

sunando

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

Have you tried using Microsoft's Backup provided in the System Tools' folder in Accessories? There are several very good freeware programs but for scheduled backups that will do what you need.
I have provided several online articles about MS Backup.

How to use MS Backup.
What to backup.
How to install MS Backup if not present.

One file\folder often not backed up is the System Registry. If your registry is damaged this could be the difference between restoring you OS and re-installing it. Here are two links work looking at. One is how to manually backup the registry and the second is a freeware registry backup program.

How to backup the registry.
ERUNT

Here is a recommended backup program listed, and used, from our list of free programs. Snap Backup

As far as transferring data I have found drag & Drop to be very effective for data. Open two windows. One with the data you wish to move and a second with the destination of the data to be moved. Left click on the data file or folder and drag it to the new folder\partition\drive you wish to transfer it to. Release the mouse button when it is over the location where you want it. It will be transferred when you release the button If you move a program you will have to re-install it in the new location. It cannot simply be moved. you can also transfer files this way over a LAN from computer to computer.

If you are worried about Cut & Paste, use Copy & Paste. It will leave a copy in the original location until you are sure the transfer in a success. I recently Dragged & Dropped a 40G folder over my LAN from one computer to my server. It contained an assortment of files from Registry backup to .gif and .jpg image with no losses. Then I deleted the files from the original location.

Edited by acklan, 24 September 2006 - 05:16 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

I realize that you didn't ask for cloning software - but it may be the most rapid way to move the data.

While I haven't used this, I just read about it at Shell Extension City this morning. It's free, is called HD Clone, and is available here: http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

NOTE: In another post that I can't seem to locate, someone was asking for an MBR copier. I think I found it (for free) here (it's called HD Hacker): http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

I use SyncBackSE for my backups, and I hear that Cobian Backup is excellent also. But for a single instance of moving/copying files I'd suggest that acklan's method is the best - just use drag and drop.

Or, you can drop down to the command prompt and use the copy or move command with the -v (for verify) switch. This ensures that the copy/move is done correctly (I don't know if drag and drop does the verify or not).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users