Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help solving a complicated matter!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PortalBreaker

PortalBreaker

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

Hey all.

I have a delicate issue with my system at the moment.

It's about windows update, and whenever I update it and restarts, my mouse suddenly stops working as soon as the update is finished.

I have tried searching for an answer to how to fix this, but it's just not anywhere to be found!

Every time I have tried updating, I end up using my keyboard to do a system restore to a point before the update.

It is starting to piss me off, as I have tried this several times now, and I can't think of anything else.

I don't have another mouse available either, so I am not sure what to do here.

It's like the update screws with the software connected to the mouse, thus it get disabled.

I have tried plugging it into every one of my USB ports, nothing works.

But it's obviously not a hardware issue as the mouse works after restoring to a previous point in time.

I could obviously just stop updating windows, but there are a lot of critical security updates.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!!
Thanks  :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17417/windows-mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Not sure it will help but make sure USB legacy is enabled in your BIOS settings.

#4 TheraPetAndy

TheraPetAndy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Hide the update, so it cannot install. Problem solved :)

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

If you have your Windows Update set to automatically download/install updates the chances are you picked up a hardware driver update (for your mouse) and that is never a good thing when they are offered by Windows Update.

Yes - hide the update problem solved but how are you going to do that if the update is already installed and your mouse does not work?

Next month you might install a video driver update and your video won't work or a network driver update and you won't be able to get on the Internet again - what then?

Why are you accepting allowing hardware driver updates from Microsoft in the first place - you should put a stop to that.

You should decide if you want to be in charge of what updates get installed on your system or do you want Microsoft to be in charge of what updates get installed on your system.

Right now it sounds like MS is in charge and they might later send you other driver updates (video, audio, network, etc.) and then those device will malfunction too.

I suggest you change your Windows Update Settings to Never check for updates and restart your system which will put a stop to any in progress updates:

[attachment=199771:1.jpg]

It is generally not a good idea to accept hardware driver updates (video, audio, network, printer) offered by Windows Update and if you ever see them it is best to hide them so you never see them again.  Only get hardware driver updates from your hardware manufacturers WWW site.

Just because Microsoft offers you a driver update does not mean you have an out of date or afflicted driver and it certainly doesn't mean you have to install the driver updates MS offers - it is generally best NOT to install hardware driver updates offered by Microsoft.

Accepting hardware driver updates from Microsoft is one reason there are so many topics in the community that start with "Windows update broke my computer...".

One rule of thumb is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so if you are not having a problem with hardware devices (video, audio, network, printer) don't accept or install those driver updates offered from Microsoft.  If you are having a problem like that you should only get driver updates from the hardware manufacturer.

If you see and can recognize those hardware driver updates offered you should right click and hide them:

[attachment=199772:2.jpg]

Pretty soon you might have quite a few hidden hardware updates:

[attachment=199773:3.jpg]

Windows has a way built in to not allow these kinds of updates and I'm not 100% sure it works as advertised but this is a safe adjustment that may prevent a whoops event in the future and how you might undo them if they happen:

Windows 7 has built in ways to disable driver updates from Windows Update that you can read about here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500967

[attachment=199774:4.jpg]

If you decide to be in charge of your updates that means you will have to check for updates once in a while - like after every Patch Tuesday.

What is Patch Tuesday

You will also be able to hide any updates that might be considered spyware or snooping patches offered by Microsoft (and there are several) like this one that showed up this month:

If you trust Windows and Microsoft not to send any of your personal information back to MS headquarters by all means install these kinds of updates (and others like them).

It should always be a good idea to install updates that have the word "Security" in them.  

I would look at non security updates on a case by case basis and decide if you need/want them or not.

Then you can say "Problem Solved".

Edited by joseibarra, 19 November 2017 - 10:59 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 TheraPetAndy

TheraPetAndy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

That is one really long winded, personal,opinion of Microsoft that definitely does not belong here. You went on a rant without barely mentioning the repair issue at hand.Congratulations on your wasted education, I'm certain someone else spent a lot of money on it for you. If you're using it here, as a forum for your own choices, you've come to the wrong place. Perhaps your time would be better spent writing The President?

User with the update issue:

Just do what you have done before, reinstall windows but keep a close eye on the updates If you aren't sure what you're downloading, GOOGLE the number of the update or driver to get a better understanding or contact the manufacturer of your mouse for drivers. If you get a message saying something like: the driver you are installing is older than the installed driver? Install that driver, it's the one that works!

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

If the system works after restoring to a time/date prior to the malfunction there is nothing to repair.

The solution to the problem is to prevent it from happening again.

If the solution to a problem is to reinstall Windows that demonstrates a lack of understanding of how WIndows works and how to solve problems.

Reinstalling Windows does not "solve" any problems.  Reinstalling Windows is what amateurs suggest and do when they don't know how to understand and solve the problem.

System Restore is not always an option either.  

What would you do if there was no such thing as System Restore?  How would you fix the problem?  Reinstall Windows, right?

BTW - There is no Windows Update message that says something like "the driver you are installing is older than the installed driver" but if you see one please post the screenshot.

In the case of a driver potentially being a lesser version the message from Windows Update looks like this:

[attachment=199778:1.jpg]

If you saw that would your "solution" be to reinstall Widows?  

That message is telling you that the driver update offered from Windows Update is an older or lesser version than the currently installed driver or has a lower compatibility rating than the installed driver.  That means you probably don't want that update and you should be glad the installation is failing.

My remedy would be to know what the message means, understand what it means, block the update and adjust Windows so the system never sees hardware driver updates again.

Edited by joseibarra, 19 November 2017 - 11:02 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

post-336615-0-24000700-1511094405.jpg

I do not get the above option on any of my devices in Windows 7 for some reason. I have never been offered a driver update, at least when Microsoft was offering separate updates which are no longer offered. Any driver updates I have are under Recommended Updates (optional updates) which I unchecked in Update Options.

ximg_58091db9ece2f.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

#9 PortalBreaker

PortalBreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for everyones input. Greatly appreciate it!

*SOLUTION*

Turns out I actually found a solution to the problem, and interestingly enough it had something to do with my motherboard(?)

I am no tech-geek, but it seems to me that my motherboard didn't recognize the mouse after the update, and it needed a proper power cut.

I simply pulled the power supply cord, pressed the on/off button, waited 30 minutes, plugged the power back in and started it up.

Now all the updates had been installed and my mouse was working perfectly again, no stuttering and no issues what so ever.

Very weird, I have honestly no idea why this was needed, but I have now disabled Windows Update, and I will check it manualy from now on once a week to see if there are critical updates, excluding driver updates from MS for GOOD.

If anyone can figure out why this worked, please let me know.

Either way, thansk again.

Edited by PortalBreaker, 20 November 2017 - 05:28 AM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:36 AM

In Devices and Printers I only see the option for "Device installation settings.." when right clicking the icon that represents my computer:

[attachment=199788:Untitled.jpg]

In Widows Update Settings unchecking that "Recommended updates" is a good idea but that is probably not how most systems are configured.

If you have to fix Windows Update problems for other people all the time it helps to have your system configured in the most likely way the other people are going to have their system configured (even if it is not the "best" way) and that way you can see everything that Windows Update has to offer even if you are never going to install any of that stuff.

To understand and solve more problems for more people make your system look like the one you are attempting to fix and that might help you better see the problems.

Your Setting don't show the Microsoft Update option so I guess you have no Office products installed either, 

Another common problem is that option is missing or somehow disappears and then you won't be offered any updates for things like Office:

[attachment=199789:1.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 20 November 2017 - 04:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users