Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notedpad++ missing from the context of mouse right click

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zillah

zillah

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

Dear Experts

I am using windows 10 not windows 7

Right now I am missing Notepad ++ from the context of the mouse right click , uninstalled and installed didn’t fix the issue

I have seen online couple of online solutions

Applied and it didn’t fix the issue, I don’t know if I am missing something ?

http://www.dhillonblog.com/2009/10/notepad-missing-from-context-menu-in-windows-7/

I posted the question in the Notepad++ community but we reached a stage they couldn't help

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/14757/notedpad-missing-from-the-context-of-mouse-right-click

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

There are so many different steps to "attempt to resolve" this issue. Some have to do with editing the reg, I found some who were having the same issue but after editing the reg it didn't help. They ended up stating the resolution for them was

Oddly, I had right-clicked and selected Properties and then Advanced and ticked the “Run as Administrator” option there as well as ticking the compatibility “Run As Administrator” option.

deselecting the latter makes it function normally again!

#3 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

They ended up stating the resolution for them was

Thanks for sharing that

Just tried it now again to run as administrator but still no joy

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Try right clicking, then "open with" then "choose default program" (if you see a submenu to the right/left) or "more" (if you see a middle of screen pop-up instead of a side submenu), then choose the option to look for a program, navigate to the folder in which notepad++ has it's executable file, select this and open, notepad++ should now be default or at the very least will be visible in the context menu next time you right click on a file of the type you have just opened with it.

P.S. Just a quick check, you've probably got 64 bit windows, but you might have been running 32 bit notepad++, if so then try 64 bit notepad++ instead, because sometimes 32 bit programs on 64 bit windows don't show up in context menu so well (I had it with 7z once).

Edited by rp88, 20 November 2017 - 06:41 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

P.S. Just a quick check, you've probably got 64 bit windows, but you might have been running 32 bit notepad++, if so then try 64 bit notepad++ instead, because sometimes 32 bit programs on 64 bit windows don't show up in context menu so well (I had it with 7z once).

Thanks for your help

Notepad++ 64 bit installed initially as my windows 10 64 bit

Try right clicking, then "open with" then "choose default program" (if you see a submenu to the right/left) or "more" (if you see a middle of screen pop-up instead of a side submenu), then choose the option to look for a program, navigate to the folder in which notepad++ has it's executable file, select this and open, notepad++ should now be default or at the very least will be visible in the context menu next time you right click on a file of the type you have just opened with it.

I tried to implement that on a "New Rich Text Document" but still when I click on windows desktop Notepad++ is not under "New" option context menu.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

@zillah,

It has been a week since you were last online, but have you resolved this problem? If not, let's have a look at an Autoruns log:

:step1: Autoruns by Sysinternals

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the file.
  • Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • Wait for a minute or so, then go to File, Save..., and save the file to your Desktop. Use the default name and ensure that the file extension while saving is .arn.
  • Zip and attach the .arn file in your next post.

We're particularly interested in the shell extensions tab... :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

It has been a week since you were last online, but have you resolved this problem? If not, let's have a look at an Autoruns log:

Not yet

where can I find that log ?

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

You can't "find" the log in the OS. :) Autoruns is a free tool by Sysinternals. Just follow my instructions to run it.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Sorry for late reply because I was busy with Christmas time

I couldn't find an option to attach the log to my reply ?

Edited by zillah, 16 December 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

To attach a file, please click Reply to this topic on the top right-side of your topic page. Next, on the bottom, under Attach Files, click Browse..., then click Open, and finally Attach This File. To finalize and post your post, click Add Reply.

BTW, you HAVE to zip it first (the forums won't accept .RAR .7z either).

#11 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Hi

Still can't get an option to attach the file

https://imgur.com/a/AGo6l

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

WHOOPS! I forgot that this particular subforum doesn't allow file attachments. Can you just upload the log to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc.?

#13 zillah

zillah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qw7z1y37ugfm7i/17.12.17.zip?dl=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users